1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ecuador chooses conservation over oil drilling

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SSimon, Nov 21, 2008.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I received this in an e mail today and found it interesting.
    A Climate Gift for Future Generations: Ecuador Seeks to Commercialize Rainforest - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Ecuador, for which oil is a significant export, is trying to choose conservation over oil production. Why shouldn’t pollution producing companies purchase credits to offset their emissions, or polluting by products, from which the generated revenue would protect places like this and remove incentives for development and oil drilling? I recognize that there may be inherent flaws with this kind of trading but think this is one worth pursuing because of the enormous value and benefit rainforests afford us.

Even removing co2 from the discussion, Rainforests serve enough benefits that they should demand more enforced protection. They regulate weather and decrease droughts, provide oxygen, diminish erosion, prevent flooding, and they are home to more than half (and by some accounts up to 70%) of the planet’s life. They have also provided us with 25% of our medicine (while only 1% have been tested for medicinal properties) and have provided us with up to 80% of our cultivated diet.

What am I missing that we wouldn’t engage something like this?

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The biggest problem is that politicians change (especially in South America). It's unrealistic to think that the government 30 years from now will be in the same position. A much better approach is to make stringent regulations on allowing no destruction while extracting the oil and using some percentage of the revenue to ensure the preservation of the forest.

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doesn't seem to me that oil drilling and no destruction can coexist. Even with the most honorable intent and the most comprehensive restrictions, accidents occur.

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Oil extraction can be done with surprising little damage, if done with the proper equipment and motivation. At the other end of the spectrum, it can leave someplace looking destroyed.

It is unlikely that sizeable oil reserves anywhere will be left untapped in the next 50 years. Given that, it would be most environmentally effective to extract the oil when environmental concerns are a first priority. The damage can be minimized since both the money (oil revenue), technology and environmental concern are present.

In reality, it will be logging that is a much more likely problem than oil.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Enron

$500 million