1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Editing your own threads

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Bill Merchant, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:d1cc0ab0cf]Hijacked threads drive me nuts. The Topic says "Best Lumbar Support Ever!" but you get linked to a message about wide angle rear-view lenses.

I propose that the originator of a topic be allowed to hide, if not delete, comments that take the thread away from original intent. A notification system could be built in, so the hijacker would get a PM saying something like, "Bill Merchant has used the PCLoJack on your message in the topic Editing your own threads" so the hijhacker could explain why it isn't a hijack or perhaps learn not to do it.

You can edit and delete your own posts, why not off-topic ones too?[/font:d1cc0ab0cf]

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Moderating your own thread", perhaps?

It might leave everyone unwilling to do anything but make their own single-post threads, because tolerance for topic-drift may be hard to come by in the general user population...

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:0853ec3cb0]I think there would be a lot of acceptance for topics that stayed on-topic. It's so easy to create a new topic, I don't understand why people hijack. I also don't understand why people don't use PMs for clearly personal questions without general topic interest.

Maybe that's another feature for self-moderated threads, the ability to forward a post as a PM...[/font:0853ec3cb0]

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a recipe for trouble to me. Member X edits Member Y's comment, Member Y is PO'd b/c he felt his comment was appropriate, no one can see member Y's comment any longer so some folks take sides with X and others with Y b/c they know him/her.

There's a method currently built in to notify the mods if you feel a thread is getting OT or someone is being inappropriate. Better, you can contact one of us directly and ask if we can split the thread or ask the 'offender' to modify their own post.

I don't think this is a huge issue, and topic drift is just a fact of life on internet forums.

Maybe Danny will completely concur and will institute some means of moderating your own threads, but I doubt it.

Again, please let us know if you feel something is inappropriate or if a thread needs to be split or moved or whatever. These days there are so many posts we just can't read each and every thread and for the most part this group is very well behaved so we don't worry. But if someone's not playing nice let us know and we're pretty responsive as a group.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bill,
    I just checked that thread. I'd hardly call it 'hijacked'...a bit of drift, yea....but not hijacked and it doesn't seem likely to go anywhere else.

For now I'm leaving it alone.