1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Edmunds' Long-Term Prius Repairs at 70,000 miles: $2526.56!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by The Critic, Jul 17, 2010.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

2004 Toyota Prius: Freak Out Fixed

What originally happened:

2004 Toyota Prius: Full-Fledged Freak Out

So, is the A/C compressor a common failure on the 2nd gen Prius?

2. chich2000

chich2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have not had a problems with A/C. My inverted pump went out and was fixed under warranty. When the pump is out the A/C does not work so that it doesn't over heat the system even more. I wonder if the same thing happened to them and the dealer swapped out the a/c compressor just to get more money? Was the A/C out before it went in for service? Doesn't state in the article.

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The funny thing is... they didn't say that the AC didn't work in the original blog... I think the dealer added that in to line their pockets.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    04 with 75,000 miles, nothing but oil changes and tires so far. going to do the transaxle fluid change soon. hope you have better luck now!:)

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that this appears very suspicious. It would be great if Edmunds would investigate this issue further.

6. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    More evidence that while the Prius is a very reliable car, when it does need repairs, it can be expensive.

7. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Your quote works with all autos - with the exception of the reliable part.

Advantage Toyota. :D

8. PriusG3IV

PriusG3IV New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow. Really? Come on!! I don't spend money like that. Do any of the rest of the PC readers?

I ask questions (before AND after the repair) - and in a case like this I would want to see the parts that were replaced. If it's "fishy" I'll ask to talk to the service Manager. If it's *really* fishy (and I think this qualifies) I would want the district service guys contacted to review the repair for "reasonableness"....

It must be nice to have "Edmunds" deep pockets so they can just "pay the bill"......are you serious!!?

I "expect" Edmunds to be more responsible when they report on the vehicles that they are testing (NOT just Toyota's) but this smacks of jumping on the Toyota bashing bandwagon.

I am *really* disappointed in Edmunds and have lost a lot of respect for them as an impartial reviewer of vehicles.

....just incredible....

9. joe350gt

joe350gt It's too windy here...

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've only had to replace LF wheel bearing. Otherwise, only maint. items/fluid drains and fills, tires and an Optima yellow top battery (orig. battery was ok but it was 4 yrs. old and I wanted to change it on my terms. Oh yeah I'm at 195K miles.

Joe

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just rolled 50,000 miles on the SPM (06) and will be getting tires soon but nothing but oil and filter changes on it.

11. Asmodeus2112

Asmodeus2112 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wish I could say the same. Just passed 40k miles. Oil and filter changes, plus traction battaries went out at 36k, and we just had to have it towed to toyota becuase it died in a parking lot. Toyota says it needs a new transaxle. :mad::(:(:(:mad::mad::confused::eek::mad::mad::(

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't. It is WAY too soon. Wait until at least 100K. Why waste money?

13. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    dont even bother. waste of money =) my dad has 150k miles on his 04 prius, never even bothered.

The owners manual does not state that you have to change it. judging that you only have 70k miles for an 04, im guessing you babied the car. CVT transmissions work differently from traditional automatics, they don't wear the the fluid down.

Its like a manual transmission, you never have to replace the fluid.

14. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This whole problem with the cost of Prius repairs is bothersome. Basically it means you can not sell a high mileage Prius, like you could a Corola or any Honda. The technology is great and produces far greater gas mileage than a lower tech car, but when something goes it is really expensive to fix. The $4,000 master brake cylinder, the battery replacement cost, the inverter coolant pump - all the posts here have people spending far too much on replacement parts. This has got to result in a lower resale value for a Prius given the possible repair costs. While it is true if you built a car from repair parts it would cost 3 times as much. But for the Prius it looks like 10 times as much. Yes I know go to the junkyards and get used parts... But not that many people are tech savvy enough. I sure would not recommend a used Prius with over 100,000 miles just because of this fact. I would tell someone to get a Corola or Civic or Accord, knowing repair parts are far cheaper.

15. Asmodeus2112

Asmodeus2112 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah, I'm wondering how I can get out of mine at only 40k...

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks guys, but some of the more technically inclined people here have done studies of the fluid and are recommending transaxle change at 60,000 for those of us who want to keep ours long term.;)

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, if you've seen the Prius used transaxle fluid tests and are content to leave the original fluid installed, knowing the fluid viscosity reduction and very high Si, Al, and Fe that has accumulated after just 30K miles (not to mention 60K miles), then peace.

I've owned several vehicles in the past with manual transmissions (including 1976 VW Dasher, 1981 Mazda RX7, 1983 Toyota Supra, 1984 Nissan 300ZX, 1985 Chevy Blazer S-10, 1988 BMW 325-i convertible, 1988 Nissan Pathfinder, and 1999 VW New Beetle) and most of those vehicles' maintenance schedules recommended that the transmission oil be periodically changed, usually at 30K mile service intervals.

18. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Heck, that's what a Porsche costs for a tuneup.

19. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to replace my drive belt about 65,000 miles, but that is the only thing I have had to do except regular maintenance. Fortunately, I had a few days left on my extended warranty do it didn't cost that much.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I myself was hit with this monster repair cost.

Knowing that it has a high failure rate, I bought one online, and then downloaded the replacement instructions Patrick Wong and others have provided. I may not have any technical talent, but I can still use a wrench.

I'll change it out this fall, as part of my extended 125k mile maintenance. $88 dollars !!!! You can just imagine how this makes my blood boil, and affects my perception of Prius ownership.

NOT. :rolleyes: