1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Edmunds' Prius PHV First Drive

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Thai, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not sure if this is a repost or not, but Edmunds did a First Drive on the upcoming PHV: 2010 Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid First Drive

It looks like a great car for a city person who works in the city. But, for someone like me who commutes 70 miles (mostly highway), it does not do very well...maybe even worst than the current Prius! :(

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Re: Prius PHV First Drive

From the Edmunds article:
    I don't think this speculation is accurate. If Toyota starts the engine warm-up soon enough before it has to go into hybrid mode, the mileage should not be impacted. With the coolant heating, exhaust loop, there should be no significant impact on mileage after transition from EV mode. It is just a question of the control laws governing ICE warm-up.

Bob Wilson

3. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Prius PHV First Drive

But the vehicle weighs more due mostly to the battery. The truth is we don't know how well the PHVs will compare relative to the conventional Prius in HV mode. The jury is out, and we'll be studying that closely during the demonstration program.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA