1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Edmunds: Prius vs. Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by mhawkin1, Jun 30, 2008.

1. mhawkin1

mhawkin1 Matt

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  2. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Echh,, I still like my Prius better,, I don't need a 2.4L engine, I prefer my little 1.5L. and I love my electronic gear shifter compared to the old fashioned shifter on all other cars. In my opinion the Prius is much more fuel efficient and it was less expensive than the Camry. I'm very comfortable in my Prius.

I think the TCH is really for people that are used to a very luxurious expensive car, not me,, I'll take fuel efficiency over luxury anyday..

3. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Reads like a well balanced article to me. The TCH is probably the better car (across all dimensions, not just fuel efficiency) for the "average" driver. Classifying the Prius as a "specialty" vehicle (a-la sports car) makes sense to me - you do make sacrifices, mostly (in my case) in comfort (did anyone say "front seats"?).

I love my Prius, and have absolutely no regrets about buying it - will buy it again and again. BUT, at the time when I bought it, I was much more interested in the TCH. Only the TCH ended up being more expensive than the Prius, much more so (don't remember the numbers), so I ended up with the Prius (lucky me).

4. JM Bethesda

JM Bethesda New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I test drove both the Prius and TCH at my dealer last month (yes, they actually had both available to test drive, although the Prius was a used 2006). I definitely agree with all of the opinions from Edmunds...yes the Camry accelerates faster, is larger and has more passenger space, is quieter on the road.

Still, I decided to order a Prius. I've never been a car person, I typically buy inexpensive used low-mileage cars. This is my first new car since having kids. Basically, the extra luxuries of the Camry aren't important to me, and the look of the Camry is very ho-hum.

Now I'm just waiting for my 2008 White Package #2 to arrive sometime in the next 2 weeks.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Fairly well balanced article. Edmunds is an auto magazine, and as such, favors performance. Their criticism of both cars for lack of feedback is a standard criticism for almost all Toyota products. Some auto magazine writers say that driving a Toyota is like driving an appliance. They want feedback, I want easy driving and good mileage.

All in all, a nice write up.

Tom

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    When I bought Pearl last year the price was the same for a Camry Hybrid. I chose the more fuel efficient Prius. I don't see this car as less comfortable, I find the seats to be just fine. I also don't see how I missed any "luxury items". Yes, I didn't get leather (not offered in the Prius in Canada). I probably wouldn't have ordered it if offered, after my experiences with leather in the anti-Prius (2001 Pathfinder). Both cars have about the same room inside, though the Camry is wider so more shoulder room. The Prius is more versatile, being a hatchback. The Camry has more "gimmicks" that I'd never use or care about. I'm happy with much better mileage.

7. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One of the factors that tipped us to a Prius rather than a Honda Civic hybrid was that the Civic's rear seat doesn't fold down. (It's a longboard-hauling issue.) I wouldn't expect that to be an issue with a Camry but...

8. lfwintx

lfwintx New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you're looking to pass something through the trunk into the back (by folding down the back seats), that is a problem with the Camry hybrid. Although the seats fold down, the batteries in the trunk block most of the pass-through area. I test drove both the Prius and Camry hybrid in May, and when I pointed out the small pass-through space, the salesman said it would work for a pair of skis. Since I'm looking to haul larger items (and the Camry hybrid has a small trunk), I'm waiting for my Prius.

9. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the hatchback is so useful... but I wish the prius had a moonroof (i know it adds extra weight)

10. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Lots of people want a moon roof, to the point that the dealer I bought my 2nd Prius from a couple of months ago retrofits them on to some Prii. He had one or two of them in stock the day we bought. I have no idea how much it adds to the cost; we bought a stock package 6.

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We have both and I mostly agree with the article. I find it much easier to exceed EPA estimates in the Camry than the Prius, although that may have something to do with the tires I have on the Prius. The Camry is far more comfortable on long drives, though around town I prefer the smaller size of the Prius and utility of its hatchback (the Camry's trunk was already small before sacrificing room for the battery).

Also, I feel I got a lot more for $2k in options on the Camry (moonroof, upgraded stereo, Bluetooth, alloy wheels) than I did for the $5k package on the Prius (no moonroof and totally crap JBL stereo).

12. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Prius salesman has a Camry hybrid--he got a special price on it--before the gas squeeze. He likes it--has gotten up to 38 mpg with it. I prefer the Prius--I like the hatchback, and it's a perfect size for me. Besides, it gets better gas mileage:
    I've had 60 miles of short 5-10 mile trips to local stores since the last fillup, and am seeing 48 mpg--despite all the cold starts. And that's with only 500 miles on the car--not broken in yet. On longer drives, I'm seeing 52 mpg.

13. hackIT

hackIT Oceanic Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We have both as well, and while the TCH is a more comfortable fit for our family on longer trips, the Prius is just so much more FUN to drive!

14. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A couple of comments on the Edmunds article. First, the Prius is far more comfortable and quieter than a sports car-- a Porsche Boxster, for example. How do I know.
    Second, the Prius is about $3-4K cheaper than the Camry H, base price. Why compare the price of a loaded Prius with a base Camry? Third, the Camry H gas mileage is about the same as my wife's stick shift Honda Civic. Low 30s. And you can buy a new Civic for $16K these days. Sure, the Camry is more Accord size, but the Accord 4 mileage isn't all that much different from the Civic.
    Putting it differently, the Camry doesn't give you a big enough mpg boost to warrant spending $26K+. The Prius does (50% higher mpg than a Civic), and it's cheaper than the Camry, and has more storage space with the hatch design.

15. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow, you must have gone back for seconds of the Kool-Aid.

Configure a fully loaded Prius and compare it to a Camry with leather and navigation; the difference in price is only $1300. Add to that the fact that Camrys are not marked up nearly as much as Priuses (I paid $1000 under invoice for a TCH in late March this year), and the prices are about equal.

Our TCH doesn't have navigation, but it does have the upgraded stereo w/Bluetooth, and a sunroof, and it was over $2k less out the door than either of our Priuses.

16. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i liked the hybrid camry i test drove. i just wanted a smaller car this time around.
    i felt both were very nice vehicles and there were some aspects of the camry that
    were better in my opinion. front seats for example felt nicer. (doesn't everyone
    think that though?)

17. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, I'm surprised at how many people have both, good for you! I didn't look at the Camry because after having a VW Jetta, I knew I didn't need all that room. I can tell it's a nice car, and if you have more people in your family or need extra space, it'd be a good option. The Camry screams family car, which just isn't us. We needed "concrete jungle couple with tiny dog" car.

I fell in love with the design (looks) of the Prius, and the hatchback (never having one before) is to die for. Can't beat the mpg, easy to park, lower base price, etc. And it's an icon now! Also, with having a plug-in being my next step, I feel that the Prius is what they will be working off of, not a sedan style vehicle. I don't mind that it doesn't have "pick up", it has changed the way I drive (for the better), and I feel much more at ease driving.

Good article!

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now you know why Toyota has both. Most people said that they'd compete with each other when Toyota launched the TCH. Now it's clear that they target two different sets of people.

Btw, I'm moving this to the Hybrid News section.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    whoa.. since when did magazine articles (ok mostly Edmunds) start getting > 50mpg in a Prius?!? I thought the best was CR's 44mpg :rolleyes:. Shows you that they can really do it if they wanted do and the right president goes their way.

20. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    X2. Not to be nit picky but, does the Prius have a 1.5L engine? I thought that was for the next model but I have slept since then and I'm an old fart. lol.