1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EET Article on the VOLT

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by edthefox5, Jan 19, 2011.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great article on the Volt on Energy, Efficiency, & Technology magazine:

November/December 2010

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. Comrad_Durandal

Comrad_Durandal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "Lowers MPG?" Really? I can think of a few ways to do that without creative engineering... V12 engines... packing six linebackers into the car... jackrabbit starting/stopping...running every -single- accessory in your car at maximum... though if you really wanted to hose things up - I suppose you could roach the transmission... run the car in first gear all the time... you know, all that kind of stuff. :rolleyes:

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think the headline editor (usually not the same person as the writer in the publishing world) made an editorial mistake by using the acronym "mpg" instead of the words "gasoline usage". The article is your basic car review and doesn't get into anything specific about energy efficiency. <shrugs>

They really like it though:

"we found the car handles well. Steering is precise, thanks to electric power steering. It features dual pinions, one for normal driving, one for assist at slow speeds. The ride is comfortable and the brakes, whether regenerative, friction, or a combination of both, provide plenty of stopping power. We finished that first ride with only an estimated mile to spare, so we used absolutely no gas. And that was with three good-sized passengers, luggage, and camera equipment.

In general, one of the most amazing aspects of the car is that it drives so much like a conventional car. And it does so using considerably less gas, especially if you have access to the optional charger. During our time in the car, we recharged at night, and for about two hours the next day while we had lunch. In all we used 2.25 gal. of gas to go 190 miles. Not bad."

5. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The absence of a locked mechanical link between the traction motor and wheels is a major plus for the Volt versus the Prius.

6. franko

franko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep--plus complexity, plus additional drive friction, plus consumable components (clutches), plus more stuff to break ...

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can you give any examples of why this might be a plus?

(Not that I doubt you, I just can't think of any)

8. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It could allow more optimization of the engine rpm operating conditions for better energy/gallon. The Prius MG2 gets quite a workout making up for the difference between engine rpms and wheel rpms. Now did GM take full advantage of this?

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is doubtful that the clutches are considered consumables. Because they are not actuated by a person they face much less wear. While they may not last as long as an electric motor, they should easily outlast the car.

That being said..... Toyota does more with less in the Prius HSD. A modified (maybe with different ratios and or tougher mg1/mg2) HSD could do pretty much the same things with no clutches and no loss of efficiency compared the Volt's layout.

11. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    if you read miles per gallon and include electric miles it makes sense. The problem is fixation with cs mode when the batteries are gone. This also assumes that the people buying the volt aren't idiots, wfail to plug in or are driving hundreds of miles every day. bad writing not bad thinking.

If you look at the motor trend article and drive train you can clearly see advantages. In the prius at higher speeds the engine and mg1 must turn creating losses. The other advantage is gearing of the generator to the traction motor that allows the traction motor to decouple its speed from the speed of the car using a more appropriate torque band. The prius does have the universal gear in place and only would have to change the arangement to do this. Then again, IMHO this is really a fail of not having enough torque in the selected motor at high speeds. Tesla and Nissan have solved this with motor choice and the design would be cleaner if a right sized motor was used. This undersized motor is the reason the engine must directly drive the wheels for adequate high speed acceleration.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is a plus but not a major plus. Volt gained a few miles in EV range due to that. Electric motor is very efficient so 95% vs 93% won't make much difference.

However, there is a major minus. The gas engine is pretty much locked to the wheels with very little flexibility.

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am one of the 'idiots' who drive hundreds of miles each day, So a Prius is cheaper than a Volt per mile, for me. 35 miles of electric does not out weight 125 miles of 37 MPG.
    I read all that, (I subscribe to Motor Trend, and to Road & Track, whose coverage is more in-depth) and your claim seems to be that if I decelerate above 41 MPH, I still run the ICE in Prius. This is true but not something I would trade more moving parts for.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i only have 3 questions: how much is a kw at gm's $1.50 recharge estimate, what options come with the car and is anytthing available over the $41,000. and is every numbnutz who writes about the volt only going to calculate gas usage and not electrical?:cool:

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If you re-read what I wrote, I never called you an idiot. What do you do that makes you drive 160 miles a day. I won't know what to call that commute until I know :D

I did say that people that are interested in the volt don't drive the miles you do. I'm not sure why this is unclear, or why many seem to see the need to point out again and again what is wrong with the buyers, since after all everyone has the same needs and should just buy a prius.:D The smiley means sarcasm, as some don't seem to be able to tell.

If you read the articles and understood them there was no reason to ask the quetion. Don't bite my head off on other claims. It was others that give speeds, and I have never seen 41mph on the phv prius. For ev operation mg2 is undersized compared to the volts traction motor. In ev operation the hsd requires mg1 and the engine to move, more moving parts, but these are highly reliable in the prius. The configuration of the universal gear seems better than that in the prius, since it provides eCvt gearing to the traction motor. The volt does have 3 clutches and 1 less universal gear, all of these should be highly reliable parts. If you would rather have a engine and motor running than have a clutch engage electronically you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion agrees with that in motor trend that a clutch is appropriate. The original serial hybrid design was cleaner though.

17. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not commute as I understand the word.
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commuting"]Commuting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I do network analysis, design, and maintenance. One major client is a independent Xerox dealer in Clarksdale MS. His territory is from Hollandale MS to Robinsonville MS and from Grenada MS to Marrianna AR. If he can sell them, I can install them.

Another client is called Region One Mental Health (They are my client, honest!) and they have 11 sites in Northwestern Mississippi.

[​IMG]

A minimal day is the 55 miles to Clarksdale and then 55 back, my 165 mile Thursday run included two Marks clients and a Clarksdale client between them. Monday next week I go to Greenville, and Tuesday I am in Tunica and Clarksdale. (my wife commutes 5 blocks to her work, so I am not moving)

As you can see by my avatar, the Prius I own is chuck full of network gear, in my entire service area, only Greenville has a computer store more stocked with parts than a Walmart. So I carry everything I might need.

1 person likes this.
  18. katooom

katooom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Interesting that the requirement the Volt use PREMIUM gas is so rarely mentioned.

This (and the price) is a deal killer for me. If I am going to spend a 10-15% premium over reg petrol, I will buy a TDI.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Volt's charger is 82% efficient so you loose 18% of the electricity from the plug to the battery.

It takes 12.9 kWh to charge 10.6 kWh.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is a plus. Especially if you consider 37mpg over 50mpg a plus . . . not that 37mpg in CS mode is horrible. We have yet to see what the official EPA will be on the PHEV Prius will be. That will determine who the real mpg champ is (based on running straight through, an entire tank and battery charge).