1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EFI Service and Throttle Service? Rip off or real?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by carlbarry, Nov 14, 2017.

1. carlbarry

carlbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2012 Prius has 15,000 miles.
    I just took it in to the dealer for the annual State inspection.
    Just like last year, they told me there is "carbon build up" and I need the "EFI service" and "throttle service." Which luckily is on sale for "only" $199.
    Do I really need this, or is it just a rip off? Last year they also told me I needed new air filters, at an insane price.
    Thanks.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I went 12 years and 288k miles without ever doing an EFI or throttle body service in my 2004 Prius. Dealer service writers are notorious for doing "upsales" for services that are not needed.

JeffD

#2 jdenenberg, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Fred_H likes this.
  3. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Under normal conditions it is not necessary, otherwise Toyota would have listed it in your service booklet.

"EFI service" = Pour one $10 bottle of Techron into the gas tank. - 1 minute.

"throttle service" = Remove air filter, stuff a rag below the throttle plate, spray 1/4 of a $10 can of throttle body cleaner and rub a little, remove rag and reinstall air filter. - 5 minutes.

And if they did nothing at all, it wouldn't make a difference.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Use a quality gas, the injectors should be fine. Throttle body: maybe in another 35K miles, clean it yourself. See @NutzAboutBolts video on throttle body cleaning, pinned in the 3rd gen maintenance sub-forum. The Prime is another car, but the principles are the same.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    NutzAboutBolts and Fred_H like this.