1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR COOLER RECONDITIONING

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jeffh1, Sep 3, 2019.

1. jeffh1

jeffh1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey All,

Just to preface this, I have never posted in this forum before, but plan to going forward. I have only been active on Ct200hForum as I didn't know how much we had in common. My posts over there are under my username Jeffh. I am the original owner of a 2011 CT200h with 270,000 miles, and on my second engine (Same as Gen 3 Prius (2ZR-FXE)), and second hybrid battery. I have a somewhat extensive knowledge on this car, but I wouldn't be where I am at today without the help of the members of the forums I have been a part of.

After reading the posts on this forum and Club Lexus about the EGR Cooler being the ultimate cause for Head Gasket Failure on top of other issues, I have decided to do something about it. I removed my EGR Cooler this weekend and experimented with it, and think that I am going to get into the business of reconditioning them. Toyota has essentially decided that they don't care about the issues with these engines. Wanting to charge me $600+ for a part that clogs and causes failures by design at this point, the same problems happening with these engines since 2010. I have found new/used EGR Coolers online for about $250, and am personally looking to get into the $120-$160 range including US shipping and new gaskets (with an added core charge) depending on how much I can refine my process. I plan to offer at least a 6 month warranty.

Here is where you, the people, come in. I am looking for anyone out there who has replaced their cooler and has an old one lying around. I know it is a long shot, but I will pay for shipping, and will offer 50% off if you need an EGR Cooler in the future. If anyone has any spare valves, I will take those as well, no matter how damaged. Don't have any concrete plans to do the valves, but if there is enough interest, I will see what I can do.

My name is Jeff, I live in Las Vegas, and I made an email so anyone can reach out with questions about ANYTHING: EGRFixer at Gmail dot see-oh-em (Sorry, it isn't letting me post an email address as my account is too new, understandably. I know that rules are here for a reason, but I hope that my post can bring value to people here, and if not, the admins are welcomed to reach out to me or delete the thread.)

Also comment below with any questions or suggestions. I'm not doing this as a means of income, as I already have a full time job I spend too much time at. I just would rather give people an option to more affordably fix their cars than to sit there and clean the cooler out for hours or to give any more money to Lexus/Toyota.