1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Egr temperature in accessory mode, car on, engine off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by William11348o, Sep 19, 2023.

1. William11348o

William11348o Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can some one tell me if my egr valve should get so hot it almost cant be touched without burning while the engine car is on and engine is off?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'll have to check Mama's car tomorrow she has a gen 3 but the EGR valve gets pretty close to exhaust gas hot which is very hot thousand degrees close to it 700 something

3. William11348o

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you. This is without ice running so no gasses passing.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What are you touching the electric motor that's on the EGR valve assembly? I mean I guess that could get pretty hot just by running but I wouldn't think so. I mean the gas engine it's got to come on sometime so just sitting in the driveway with the car on like running the radio the EGR valve gets hot enough that you can't touch it? Wild

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm walking out to a 2013 Prius persona and I'm going to ready the car and put on the radio the ice engine is going to come on at some point just because it will and we'll see should be back in about 10 minutes

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Okay so I'm out at the persona now I get in the car push the brake hit the button before I can get out flip the hood latch the engine starts The engine runs about 40 seconds or so The EGR cooler is just beginning to get as warm as my body temperature is at that point the gas engine shuts off and the cars just sitting here making its normal humming noises The EGR cooler is still the same temperature the valve forward of it which is connected to the engine is of course not even warm yet as the engine's not even warm but the motor on the end of the EGR valve is warmer than all of it but not rising so it's like holding a solenoid open or something or doing something in that black part of the electric motor but it's not heading to alarmingly hot it seems to be about I don't know 105° maybe I'd have to get the temp done out but not hot enough to fry an egg on or anything like that not to move my hand My hand is resting on it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. William11348o

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wish the engine was running. I am touching the brown cap on the valve. It is just an electric magnet that spins to open/close the valve. The question is: did the part that rotates get stuck or if its normal for the egr to be so hot when no engine running before or after. Cant use Techstream to activate egr steps since engine doesnt run.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Mine did not get hot enough to make me move my hand and I'm relatively heat sensitive so. But no I don't think so and if it does I would think there's something wrong inside of that cover which is what just the stator part or whatever anyway. So maybe there's a bunch of carbon filings in there or something that need to be got out or it's just run to ground or something.

9. William11348o

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you. I did open it and worried I had messed it up. No codes. Will check for shorts. Also have a borrowed ecm to try. Will post results later.

Tombukt2 likes this.