1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR Valve replacement Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Rouss, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Rouss

Rouss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Before taking intake manifold apart, I tried Sea Foam spray through throttle body with engine running and added from another Sea Foam can to gas tank and oil. Never used it before. The codes p403 and p219 still here, p303 is gone and but the car runs much better , could drive with EGR plug in, however shaking . Then dissembled and cleaned intake manifold . Only tiny layer of dirts was on the wall. Nothing changed, same codes and shaking when EGR plugged in. Continue to drive with disconnected EGR. In a week or two will try to dissemble and cleaned EGR cooler adapter

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Disconnecting the cooler involves taking off (four?) coolant lines. Maybe incorporate a coolant change?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe clamp the hoses?

Merged...

There's a MAF sensor and a MAP sensor. One is easily accessed at top of the intake manifold, the other is buried at the bottom of the manifold.

#23 Rebound, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
    Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    MAF = Mass Air Flow (the easily accesable on atop intake manifold)
    MAP = Manifold Abolute Pressure

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Rouss

Rouss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Merged...

Yeh! Actually I was wrong about code P219 definition, thinking it's air/fuel ration, it's mean excessive engine speed, probably happened while cleaning intake manifold with Sea Foam

#25 Rouss, Mar 6, 2017
  6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Spraying a solvent through the intake so that it end up on the cylinder walls blows by the rings and thus into the oil may not be the best unless followed by a quick oil change.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Rouss

Rouss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good idea, l'll do it right away

Merged

Somehow I missed this post, thank you for invitation, would be great to have a drink together, but so far no plans to be near you. From my part if you ever near Halifax , Canada - welcome!

#27 Rouss, Mar 7, 2017
  8. Rouss

Rouss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My try to remove and clean EGR Valve cooler is failed because this damned cooler is attached to the engine from a firewall side as well. Need a hoist to access it from the bottom. To much work in a home garage. Cleaned the cooler, EGR Valve, pipe without any improvement in driving. Car is shaking a bit while maintaining the same speed. So I continue to drive disconnecting EGR electric plug without any problem.
    Thinking that problem is not in clogged or dirty intake/EGR/cooler but in clogged exhaust in whole with excess fumes going to EGR system

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry to hear the removal was not successful:(. I was able to remove it with the windshield wiper cowling still connected. When I do this again, I learned the error of my ways;).

Pardon my not re-reading the thread (it's been a long week at work), but what work have you done? How many miles? How frequent?

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd suspect similar to regular Prius, removing the windshield cowl makes things a lot easier. Even then it might be advantageous to also raise the car and remove the engine underpanel, but I know (with regular Prius) I can barely see the bottom bolts of the cooler, looking from below, and it's quite a reach.

@NutzAboutBolts has a video in 3rd gen maintenance section regarding cowl removal, it may be partially applicable to your case. Would at least give a feel, for what you do.

11. Rouss

Rouss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding the work I had done on a car - not a lot, up to 300,000 km had no problem when check engine light came on with catalytic converter efficiency below trash hold code. Dealer said that catalytic converter is clogged and estimated to replace it ( whole piece from exhaust manifold till muffler ) was $3,300 plus tax - ridiculose high while car was driving absolutely fine. Few months later car started shaking (what's happening right now) and EGR code came in. So I had replaced spark plugs and coolants first ( air filter - every 80,000 km ), then just catalytic converter for $700 - covertor efficiency code disappeared but not shaking, and you know the rest when I asked advise about EGR Valve on this forum.

The fact that car works fine with unplugged EGR valve connector ( valve is in close position) and no exhaust in intake manifold, makes me believe that problem is another then dirty recirculating exaust system

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the update;).

Does your Prius consume any oil? If so, how much? When the catalytic converter was changed out, what did it look like? Was the cat collapsed or clogged? If clogged, I would suspect the egr cooler would suffer the same fate.

How did you clean the cooler? How do you know it is clean? How much carbon buildup was on the plunger of the egr valve?

13. Rouss

Rouss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    1. There is no oil consumption at all
    2. Catalytic converter was clogged and was a lot of black build up in a cooler side connecting to EGR . So I cleaned it as I could twice using air pressure, throttle body cleaner, vacuum cleaner . I agree that it's probably clogged and tried to remove it in order to clean. But for know I am giving up and maybe will try to fix it later, in a summer

SFO and Mendel Leisk like this.