1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EGR valve replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Amy50421, Sep 14, 2024 at 11:30 PM.

1. Amy50421

Amy50421 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Where is a good place to order parts from? And should it be toyota specific? We are opting for this instead of cleaning it since we are already almost at 200k

We also need to clean the egr cooler and intake manifold for this to be a successful swap out correct? Does anyone have a video they love to guide us through this repair?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well look here that silver cooler that cools your EGR gas that's like an intercooler for a turbo on a small scale kind of like a radiator for air. So all you need to do is set it in the bucket or send it to the machine shop and have it tanked or you set it in a bucket of a mixture of pick your poison it's talked about here a bunch mean green and the powder stuff you use in the laundry seriously dump that in the bucket try to get it to dissolve drop the cooler in it let it sit there for days I start with a whole day then flip the cooler over blow through it see all the nasty black come out of it dunk it back in the stuff for another day let it sit when you're done there should be nothing coming out of the cooler The fluid should run through it water clear and come out the other end water clear as long as you're seeing brown black stuff coming out the other end or the other end in reverse when you flip it over your job is not done I have one here that's never been able to clear It sits here just to show people so there's always that. The new valve needs to be the updated part which anything after 2013 I think you'll be covered I don't think you could find the old part even as new old stock from people who sell that stuff I think I just paid I don't know $112 in a Toyota box brand new part etc etc with the updated firmware electronics whatever is going on with it that's all I could get this was just a few weeks ago. So you're on the right track a lot of times the EGR valve will be bad if you take it apart look at the business end of the thing there's this little ramp and all this stuff that can break etc The EGR valve to be honest about it really doesn't get that dirty it's the cooler that gets all clogged You look at your valve and whatnot it's not very dirty that'll clean right up immediately now whether the valve works properly is another story you undo the motor pull the cover off look at the rotor the part that turns none of that is really very dirty It's just some black soot on it which comes right off with the mean green but I would say you're smart to replace the EGR valve no doubt and you should get an extra cooler even if you buy a used one so that every 60,000 mi when you have to do this you have a cooler ready to go You just take off the old one don't have to worry about dropping it in a bucket right away bolt on your clean one You're going to leave a nut off the very bottom And maybe put some bolts in place of the studs on the EGR valve. My EGR valve and cooler are actually just floating in between their two mount points because I was looking at it so often for a while The car still failed massively anyway regardless of all the cleaning so didn't really make any difference but that's another whole vehicle.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Top two links in my signature are EGR related (on a phone turn it landscape to see signatures).

200k miles, makes me wonder what prompted the interest in EGR cleaning? Having left it this long, you’re well into head gasket failure time. Any such symptoms, say cold-start engine shaking, coolant “consumption”?