1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

electric cars

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Sustainability, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Sustainability

Sustainability New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Does any one have any idea about electric cars for improving the environment.how it is that these type of cars will help for betterment of the earth?

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And you use the name "Sustainability" and ask this? :eek:

3. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like he's trying to generate some links to the website in his signature.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    According to our favorite hack - Art Spinella - electric cars in general, and the Prius in particular, are single handedly responsible for the "moonscape" around Sudbury, Ontario's INCO nickel facility. Furthermore, a Hummer lasts far longer while being cheaper to own, despite getting 1/5 the fuel economy and costing twice as much

Note to trolls:

There is *no* "moonscape" around Sudbury. INCO, the Ontario Provincial government, and the Canadian federal government, cleaned up that mess in the mid 1980's, long before the Prius came along

Batteries included, the Prius nickel content is a fraction of a heavy vehicle like the Hummer H2. Keep in mind that nickel is used to make stainless steel, Invar, Monel, Inconel, Hastelloy, Nichrome, etc etc

The last few years, Toyota has purchased around 1% of the total nickel output of INCO in Sudbury, ON. The vast majority of INCO's Sudbury output was used to satisfy American automotive, industrial, and construction needs

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Giving him the benifit of the doubt.
    EVs are a huge step forward, yet they are not a silver bullet.
    The biggest advantage to EV's that I see is the improved efficiency of an electric motor over and internal combustion engine.
    The second big advantage is that the method of producing electricity can change and the same car, same engine, some transportation method of the electricity remain the same.
    Every year gasoline refineries have to shut down and retool for summer and winter blends. Switching to an ethanol mix required reworking as would a switch from sweet to heavy crude oil.
    On the other hand, if my electricity comes from coal one year, then natural gas, then nuclear and then wind and solar, it makes zero difference.
    Another large benifit is there are far fewer moving parts in an electric motor than an ICE (internal combustion engine). Thus it requires much much less maintainance.
    Oh, you can also add that by switching to home produced electricity we are less reliant on foreign oil, so national security wise EVs are a win:)

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Every mile you drive in a gas car is money in the pockets of al Qaeda. Every mile I drive in my Zap Xebra is powered by the rainwater that falls in the Columbia River drainage basin and finds its way to the Bonneville dam.

Every mile you drive in a gas car is more carbon taken out of long-term storage deep in the Earth and spewed into the atmosphere to fuel (pun intended) global warming. Every mile I drive in my Zap Xebra is powered by the sun, as it evaporates water which later falls as the rain previously mentioned. (And even if your EV is charged from a coal-fired plant, it's so much more efficient that it produces less carbon dioxide than a gas car does.)

When the oil runs out, your gas car goes to the landfill where it uglifies the countryside. My Zap Xebra will just keep on humming, and the birds will keep on twittering, because my Zap Xebra has zero emissions.