1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Corvair...?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BobZ, Aug 30, 2006.

1. BobZ

BobZ New Member

As I got out of my Pri this morning at The Home Depot a Honda Insight pulled up next to me. The rear quarter panels reminded me of the EV1 which prompted me to sniff around online about the car (EV1) while I was searching I stumbled across this....

http://www.corvaircorsa.com/monzapr7.html

Does anyone know these even existed way back when? No this was not a home made conversion. Here's a link to an old ebay auction for the new car brochure

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...62236&indexURL=

Now when the question "Who killed the electric car" is asked, we can say which time? Or in which decade? <_< <_< <_<

Attached Files:

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting!
    Perhaps this was GM's solution to the worlds longest fan belt?

3. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Aug 30 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]311803[/snapback]</div>
    As a previous Corvir owner I hope I am laughing correctly at someone who had to change a Corvair
    belt. Not exactly set up for side of the road fixing...

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Aug 30 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]311771[/snapback]</div>
    Neat links! You can't really "kill" something that never lived though. The Electric Corvair was a one-off proto that certainly never made it into production. Likely would have had a longer life than the gasoline version if it had! :)

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Aug 30 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]311933[/snapback]</div>
    I always carried a spare but why would it wait till I was 70 miles west of Needles, CA on a July afternoon to break?

6. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 30 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]311988[/snapback]</div>
    Then explain the new car brochure.........

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Aug 31 2006, 04:17 AM) [snapback]312073[/snapback]</div>
    Turns out that you don't need a car to make a brochure. I have brochures for several automobiles that never made it into production. Not the least of which is a 4-seat serial hybrid GM EV1. If you've seen a 4-passenber hybrid EV1, please let me know! I'd love to see what the Corvair brochure looked like, and what it said. Does anybody have an image of it?

There might have been a couple of e-Corvair prototypes made. I guess it all depends on the definition of "production" at this point.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong on this one. I'll bet I can turn up some info.... stand by.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I worked in a Corvair shop as an apprentice mechanic for about 9 months. Easiest engine change I've ever done. Stick a floor jack under the engine, unhook everything, and raise the lift. I had the boss's rickety old 'Ursula' up to 75mph once and he was amazed I made it back alive. The boss's kid had a plate on his spiffy and clean car that said 'Nader 1.' :)

I never saw a Chevy Astro or an electric Corvair, but that won't stop me from believing they exist(ed).

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 31 2006, 10:16 AM) [snapback]312240[/snapback]</div>
    The Electrovan (hydrogen) and the Electrovair both "existed" in the form of prototypes. The question now is was the Electrovair ever built in production and sold?

I'm still saying no. I don't think there more more than a few prototypes of the electric Corvair ever made. Much hype was made about them at the time, but they were never sold to the public.

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's a bit more info. No indication that the electric Corvair was ever sold.
    -----------------

The ElectroVair, which used Silver-Zinc batteries was a
    prototype-only vehicle built by GM to explore the possibilities
    of EVs. Shortly thereafter (1971?) GM also did a prototype
    Fuel Cell Corvan (Corvair van). You can find details and
    illustrations in the out of print book, "The Complete Book
    if Electric Vehicles" by Sheldon R. Shackett (Domus Books)
    which is still in some libraries or may be found on used
    book Websites.

PS -- The ElectroVair is or was on display in a museum,
    possibly Henry Ford in Detroit or a PA museum. Check
    the CORSA (Corvair Club) Web site for more information.

and...

1966 GM Press release:

GM Debuts Two Electric Vehicles

WARREN, MICH., Oct.28, 1966- - General Motors today presented a state- of-the-art report on research and development progress in various forms of automotive power. The demonstration at the GM technical Center here included two operating experimental electrically-powered vehicles -- a fuel cell van (Electrovan) and a battery propelled passenger car (Electrovair II).
    GM also disclosed advanced work by its Allison Division and the Defense Research Laboratories, Santa Barbara, on a lithium-chlorine fuel cell, a type of high temperature molten metal cell, of the alkali- metal-halide couple type for converting chemical energy directly into electricity.
    In addition, the GM motive power array included gas turbines and a Stirling thermal engine.
    Results of GM' s many years of work on the various power systems were reviewed for newsmen by GM representatives, including Executive Vice President Edward N. Cole; Dr. Lawrence R. Hafstad, vice president in charge of Research Laboratories; and Harry F. Barr, vice president in charge of Engineering Staff.
    "The objective of the demonstration," Mr. Cole explained, "is to give a public review of what General Motors has been doing, what we are doing today and where our search for better systems of power conversion and transmission may lead us in the future."
    Pointing out the recent interest in the possibilities and probabilities of electric vehicles and fuel cells, Mr. Cole said, "You may have wondered just where GM stood in relation to present and future technology in this field… Our answer is this: energy conversion is our business. It always has been. Any aggressive industry must be alert and attuned to both its own and other technologies. This is our job and we are pressing forward on many fronts."
    The major reason, he said, for sponsoring advanced power plant research was the possibility of further improving GM's present technology, the goals of which include new types of power systems that may alleviate future air pollution problems. However, he noted that comprehensive research and engineering programs currently under way in GM will lead to improved exhaust emissions control on the conventional gasoline engine.

Cole added that GM is aggressively supporting electrical propulsion development because of its ultimate potential - freedom from air pollution, driving flexibility and smooth, quiet operation.

Already, he added, motor and control developments in the experimental Electrovan and Electrovair II have been applied to Delco Products'
    industrial motors and other control developments may find their way into household appliances. Another possibility would be development of electrical drive system for heavy, multiple-wheel off-road vehicles.

Mr. Cole said, however, that GM's research clearly indicates that major research and development programs lie ahead if such power systems are ever to become feasible for general use. Their complexity, size, weight, cost, operating hazards and scarcity of power source materials are among their obvious handicaps when compared with conventional automobiles.
    Mr. Cole disclosed that studies leading up to the two experimental electrical vehicles dated back more than 10 years. They involved not only GM's central staff organizations but also several automotive components divisions. In addition, major help was received from Union Carbide Corporation in developing the largest hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell system of its-kind in the world for Electrovan.

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius