1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric... Golf Cart Quetion (for you electric Gurus)

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by V8Cobrakid, Feb 11, 2008.

1. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have this problem with my electric golf cart. it keeps overheating in certain areas. first it was the cables so we replaced them with thicker braided copper lines. Now it's controllers and other pieces burning up every week.

ok.. it's not me.. it's my father burning things up.

i'm trying to figure out how to stop pieces from burning up.

So far.. my best guess it that one of the batteries is failing so it's causing too much resistance int he line.. which is heating things up.. am i correct? what's a good way to test for this?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is somewhat complex. A high resistance in a battery will cause the battery to heat up, but will lower the voltage available to the rest of the system. A lower voltage normally means lower current, but motors are non-linear resistance devices. Trying to run a motor on a lower voltage can cause the motor to draw more amperage, which in turn can burn out controllers, cables, and such.

To test the internal resistance of your battery, measure the rest voltage of the battery and the voltage under load. The load voltage will always be lower, but the amount of drop will increase as the battery resistance goes up. Compare this to a known good battery under the same conditions.

Tom

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so driving it untill it's close to dead is probably a really really bad idea.. especially since the resting point is on the top of the hills. (nice climb back up)

he only burns up things once the system starts to die... so.. flooring it to get it up the last bigs of hill before it dies.

resting voltage is 6volts for all the batteries.. i haven't tested them while under a load.

thanks for the input. :D