1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric miles increasing on Gen 5 prime

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by GREEN BAE, Jun 29, 2024 at 6:24 PM.

1. GREEN BAE

GREEN BAE Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'm getting 47 electric miles when I charge up. Started at 35 and was really pissed about it, but I guess the battery needs to be broken in. Wondering how high it will go. Anyone else experiencing this?

2. Jabog6

Jabog6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Yeah, mine started in the low 40's of miles (in December) and is now at about 58 fully charged. I've been using electric mode on slower roads, and hybrid mode on highways, and the car has adjusted it's prediction. I don't believe the battery is being broken in - just the car learning your driving style.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  3. Peter3232

Peter3232 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I started off in mid-February with my SE projecting ~34 miles of range at a full charge up here in upstate NY. It’s currently at ~43 miles of range at a full charge.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the software estimates range based on past performance. the battery cannot be broken in, and in fact is degrading from the moment it manufactured.
    range is affected by many factors, and the estimate is constantly updated.

fuzzy1 and BiomedO1 like this.
  5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The car has learned your driving style and the weather is warmer and dryer. Expect your averages to start tanking in fall and winter months. This is typical behavior of EV.

Trollbait likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Li-ion does have a break in period. The battery has to go through several charge cycles before the cells can reach 100% full.

Of course, EVs don't charge to 100%, leaving the other reasons mentioned for influencing the distance to empty meter.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Range estimates are based on driving history. When you first get the car, it has no real "history", just some "fake history" of default placeholder values placed by the computer programmers. It takes a while for your driving to push out all the defaults with your real history.

I would hope the programmers put in something in the low-average to pessimistic range, so most drivers can see it rise, instead starting it too high and having drivers wonder why it is degrading so quickly.

My RAV4 Prime initially showed an EV range of 40 or 41 miles, vs an EPA rating of 42. It has since climbed, though not quite monotonically, to 52. That may be close to accurate for a mix that is mostly streets. It is very clearly an overstatement for level highways at highway speed, but my pattern of tending to use HV on uphills, then EV for downhills and their run-outs, may bias its 'history' a bit towards downhill highways.

#7 fuzzy1, Jun 30, 2024 at 12:11 AM
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 2:55 AM
  8. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    TBH, I haven't seen any change I could not contribute to higher temperatures, smaller, lighter wheels and better tires compared to 8/2023 when I picked up my car at dealership.
    But it is my 3rd hybrid, so the learning curve to sync with the car was considerably shorter.