1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric motor continues to run at a red light whenever the slip, brake, and ABS lights are on

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dydx, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Dydx

Dydx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    My 2013 Prius v V with 60,000 miles just intermittently started to show 3-4 dash lights when driving: Slip, Brake, and ABS. Whenever this happens, I noticed the regenerative braking doesn't work and the traction motor refuses to turn off at a stop (like at a red light). The traction motor will turn off if I put the car in neutral. At first it happened with just those three lights, but now a fourth comes on...the LED lights indicator.

So what gives? Sometimes these symptoms last for days, and then they stop. Sometimes they stop for days, and then return. Once in a while they disappear (sometimes after a rest of a few hours) and then come back on after a short drive. Once, they persisted for days, then disappeared. A few hours later, however, I had the car parked with the power on for about an hour while talking to someone via Bluetooth (traction battery at 3/4). All of a sudden all the power to the vehicle cut off. When I turned the car back on a half hour later the symptoms came back and persisted for days.

This on again off again dance has been going on in a temperate Southern California Coastal climate (Orange County CA) and also in a hot desert climate (Coachella). It seems like a short...or maybe a problem with a brake actuator or sensor (same thing? do not know). I've researched this on the web, and couldn't find anything that matches exactly my symptoms. It seems to be related solely to the braking system, but why the LED light now? The LED doesn't come and go on it's own, it comes on in tandem with the other wheel-related lights. Very strange.

Anybody familiar with this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I took it to a mechanic...and sho' enuf' the friggin' lights disappeared! He drove it around for about 2 hours and couldn't get the lights to come back on. Just my luck :^(

P.P.S. A note about the LED light. As it turns out, the driver's side running light is indeed out. But that damn LED light only comes on when the other three come on. Currently, no dash indicators are showing, but the driver's side running light is still out.

Edit: Now the LED light comes on even when the car is otherwise functioning normally (other 3 lights are out, regen braking working). Oy vey.

#1 Dydx, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No codes have been read from the diagnostic port? Even if there are no current error lights on the dash, codes can be pulled from the OBDII port.

Also, what do you mean when you say the electric motor never turns off?

RAM v likes this.
  3. Dydx

Dydx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I mean the electric motor remains on when the car is at a stop (i.e. red light, etc...). You can see the battery draw on the energy screen and hear the motor itself. When the car is operating normally, the traction motor turns off when the vehicle is not in motion. When the car is in it's fifth mode (Defective Mode) I can stop the traction motor from running by shifting the car to neutral when stopped.

As far as the codes...do not know why they didn't pull 'em, and was too distracted to ask. Good question though. Will ask next time they take a look.