1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Motor Details

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jmlarence, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jmlarence

jmlarence New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first post here. Just registered this morning. Proud owner of a 2012 Plug In Basic in Blizzard white. Our electrical company charges $.072 per kWh. First round trip commute (yesterday - 19miles) logged 212mpg w/o grill blocking ECO mode off. This car is amazing. Traded in my Tundra and Corolla for it and never looking back.

Have a question about the electric motor in this car. Having owned a Corolla, I'm versed in the ICE side under the hood. However, all I can find on the electrical motor is "Permanent magnet AC synchronous motor - 80 hp (60 kW) - 153 lb.-ft. (207 N·m) - 650V maximum.

Is it the same electrical motor as the Liftback Hybrid?
    If so, any concerns? Should be a different motor, no?
    Does anyone have a manufactures cut sheet on it?
    How does it compare to the Leaf/Volt/DIY kit motors on the market? Better? Worse? Same?

Toyota combustion engines are bulletproof IMO. Change the oil and drive forever. Would like to hold the electrical motor in this car to the same standard. Just can't find any specifics.

Thanks in advance.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats and welcome.

It is the same electric motor as the Liftback hybrid. The difference is the battery power that can supply to the motor. The regular hybrid NiMh battery can supply 27 kW. PiP Lithium battery can supply 41 kW (measured with Torque app).

3. jmlarence

jmlarence New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey - thanks. Same as the regular hybrid? Toyota would spec the same AC motor for a car that limits to 20 and one that limits to 60mph? Have been looking for more info this morning on line. Planning to get under the hood this weekend.

I'm clear on the battery pack. Actually found the dismantling manual on line. Did not know the lithium battery pack has a cooling blower fan on it. Amazing car. The same manual listed the motor as a 3 phase high voltage AC electric motor but nothing more...

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In a regular Prius, the generator (MG1) supplies the remaining electricity to the traction motor (MG2). The reason for doing that is to boost torque to supplement Atkinson cycle ICE. That's how eCVT works because it doesn't ever shift a gear. The amount of electricity blended in varies depending on the torque demand.

PiP with more powerful battery just enabled higher EV speed because the bottleneck (intended design) was in the HV battery.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    80 hp is a lot of power. 1980's vintage 4 cyls made as much power. The only reason it is limited at 20 mph (42?) in the regular Prius and 62 on PiP is battery capacity. You'd run out of juice pretty quickly going past 40 mph in the regular Prius. Similarly, I try not to go past 55 mph in EV mode on my PiP. The Volt and Leaf have more powerful motors and larger batteries because they are motivated entirely by electric motors. The Volt has an ICE but it is only used to recharge the batteries which is why it is less efficient than the PiP for distances much longer than its EV range.

6. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Electric motors in general are much more reliable than internal combustion engines b/c they have very few moving parts.
    Yes, it's the same.

In the Liftback, the limit for EV only driving is due to the amount of power that the battery can supply, not the power of electric motor. When that speed is exceeded, the ICE runs and generates more electric power via MG1, to supply MG2.

In the Plug-in, the limit for EV only driving is the highest speed where the ICE is not rotating, but both electric motors are. Once that speed is exceeded, the ICE must spin.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The regular Prius ev is 42mph but it can and has gone faster under some conditions like running out of gas on the freeway.

8. jmlarence

jmlarence New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks guys for the replies. Still digging this morning. Talked to a nice woman at Toyota's customer service who looked into it for 15 minutes and suggested I call the dealer. I already know where that will get me...

She did tell me that all PIPs are made in Japan and shipped. Did not know that.

Here's an interesting article on the Leaf's eMotor which will be made in their TN plant starting 2013. According to the article it takes more time to make these copper wound motors than it does the combustion ones.
    2013 Nissan Leaf Electric Motor Production Starts In TN

9. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To be clear, when the ICE runs and generates more electric power via MG1 to supply MG2, the ICE is also driving the wheels at the same time. The ICE is not solely used to run a generator for electricity.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...somebody gave me a pretty cool book on Prius 2004-2008 repair and maintenance Bentley Publishers with lots of nice pictures and explanations. Don't know if there is Gen3 Plugin version. They make a few comments in there that are new ideas on some of the FAQ topics we discuss around here.

11. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    it can, but it doesn't have to. i've seen instances on the MID where the engine is solely acting as a generator.

12. jmlarence

jmlarence New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's the thing. The 1.8L combustion engine in this car has a number stamped on it. There's specs on the parts in it. What Toyota plant made it.

The question here is, who makes the AC electric motor in this car? Toyota Motor Corp? A vendor in Japan? Ebay seller eMotorsR-US? Plus, how does it compare to other EV vehicles coming from other major manufacturers? Are they all getting motors from the same vendor? Are some better? Is ours?

Based on my link above, Nissan is tooling up to make their own wound motors. Why? Quality control? Cost? You guys see the machine that winds the copper in that vid - not typical American manufacturing happening there.

I can't find any info about Toyota making the electric motor in the PIP.

Seriously, would you guys buy a car w/o knowing the type of engine? Number of cylinders, displacement, what air filter it takes, which oil filter. Maybe we take too much for granted. Maybe we can...

Started this thread to get more specific info on the AC motor in this car. Not because I think it's an issue, but because I can't seem to find info on it anywhere.

13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh? The Volt's ICE generates electricity that drives the electric motor. In CS mode it operates similar to the Prius in HV mode.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...here's a video you might like

15. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the ICE is running, it's mostly likely driving the wheels directly. The main exception to this being when you are going in reverse. There are other reasons where the ICE might be on, but not driving the wheels, but those seem to mostly related to being stopped at a stop light and the ICE running for heating the cabin, or being in the middle of the warmup stage.

16. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    i think these are all fascinating questions and i wish you luck in finding the answers. however, to your specific question:
    Seriously, would you guys buy a car w/o knowing the type of engine? Number of cylinders, displacement, what air filter it takes, which oil filter. Maybe we take too much for granted. Maybe we can...​
    i can say that personally, i'd look at the number of cylinders and displacement primarily to get an idea of the power of the engine and how much gas it will consume. that's all. i think most people won't even go that far, simply looking at the HP and EPA MPG numbers directly to make their decisions.

17. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First of all, there's two electric motors in the car. MG1 and MG2. MG2 is the larger motor which provides the bulk of the motive force. MG1 is mostly used to start the ICE, and provides additional electricity to charge the battery, or provide more electricity to MG2 to drive the wheels.

If I had to guess, and I'm no expert on automotive supply and manufacturing, Toyota probably get's their electric motors for the Prius from a parts supplier that they are closely tied with. Both motors are probably custom designed to be used in the Prius.

Here's an interesting link that shows how tightly coupled the ICE, MG1 & MG2 are in the Prius. This shows how a shop did a rebuild/replacement of a bad MG2 in a Gen I Prius:
    Prius 1st gen - Replacing an MG2 (electric motor)

As you can see, you can't just swap the motor out for a new higher output one...

18. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TomAtoes... To-mah-toes? Close enough? Alright fine, thanks for the correction.:p

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never been interested in the electric motor to any extent. hasn't had any detrimental effect in 8 years and 3 pri that i can think of.(n)

20. jmlarence

jmlarence New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base