1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

electric motor squeal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by logas, Oct 8, 2007.

1. logas

logas New Member

My 07 with 12k has developed a squeal upon start up. As the weather has cooled off, the electric motor has started to squeal when first started. The squeal initially lasted for only a few seconds but is lasting longer each day. The squeal is now lasting 30-45 seconds always ending before the ice kicks on. This only happens on first start up in the morning. Any advice or prior experience with this.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not normal - see your dealer.

Tom

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi logas,

Gbee is right, not normal. This is caused commonly by a defective electric coolant pump, that pumps the warm coolant from the thermos bottle to the engine block at startup. You want to have coolant in the engine, so get it check out before it freezes up altogether.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree, I think it's probably normal...depending upon how cold it is. The coolant pump for the thermos starts sounding pretty noisy as the weather cools off. Sometimes they do break, but they tend to sound really horrible...then it quits working and you get a warning light.

Give it a while and see if it stays stable.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Time to visit your friendly Toyota dealer.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I foolishly though we were talking about motor noise from MG1 or MG2. Evan could be right. The coolant transfer pump can squeal on cold days, but that should only last for a few seconds when you power up.

Tom

7. logas

logas New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(logas @ Oct 8 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]522792[/snapback]</div>
    Update to the above post. The squeal actually was identified as coming from the electric coolant pump in the vicinity of the MG. Come to find out, the 07 Prius actually has two 'water pumps'. One mechanical running off the ICE and one electric running off the MG. The electric pump is supposed to run prior to and when the mechanical pump is not running. The electric pump works in tandem with heating elements to 'preheat' the coolant up to operating temps for the ICE and circulate coolant to assist with cooling the MG. Since the mechanical pump only runs when the ICE is operating, if the electric pump were to fail, the results could catastrophic if not caught almost immediately.

The noise continued to get progressively louder and more frequent until I was able to convince the dealer that it needed to be replaced. After much gentle persistence, the dealer was convinced that the pump was beginning to fail and should be replaced under warranty. This is apparently a not uncommon problem in the dual pump models. Electric pump replaced ($250.00 repair) under warranty and the squeal has disappeared. Returned is the gentle electric hum reminding me that the MG and electric system components are up and running. Since it was described as a 'not uncommon' problem, keep your ears open if you have a dual pump model.

8. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

My 2007 Touring #6 has developed the noise from the water transfer pump, with only 6K miles. I noticed it ever since the temperatures started dropping to the low 40's and below. I took it in to the dealer and they diagnosed it as a bad pump that needs to be replaced. Problem is, no pumps are available. It's on back order and may take days/weeks to arrive. Thankfully, I was given a loaner, so no complaints from me at this time.

Has this item reached TSB status yet?

9. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Anyone know the torque specs for 2004 Prius intake manifold & throttle body mounting bolts please?