1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric ONLY from gas

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Patrck pasha Donnelly, May 11, 2017.

1. Patrck pasha Donnelly

Patrck pasha Donnelly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have been having trouble finding this information in the book. Is it possible to have the gas engine running ONLY as electrical generation, or am I understanding the whole process wrong that THAT is what the engine is for?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like a series hybrid? No. There is a CHG mode that allows the engine to charge the HV battery but it can still power the wheels if necessary.

dalcon95 likes this.
  3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Charge mode does work in Park, however.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

it's a fairly sophisticated system. you have gas for powering the wheels, then, a battery was added to recapture energy that is often lost with a gas only car, which can then be used to power the car alone, or in concert with the gas.
    then, a plug and larger battery were added to do even more of that, increasing overall efficiency.
    in the end, you have the best of all worlds.

5. Patrck pasha Donnelly

Patrck pasha Donnelly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello. Thank you. I had a 2007 Prius, 270K Mi & never had changed the brakes. I had not posted much before, but I did get one of the new ones that is all nutworked so... why nut? I drive 'PashaPrimus' now. :-D

I had just meant there are moments where the engine will be running when it does not need to be, say a warm-up sequence, where it would have extra power about. It makes sense that such an ability would exist: The generation of just the electrical power needed to move yon wheels.

The transfer of energy from liquid -> electricity is not as efficient as it should be, here, especially since it runs fine without the torque. <ST: Voyager> Modulate it, force it to a different 'go' mode! </ST: Voyager> This car can operate completely electrically, so...?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota is smarter than us? the goal is low emissions. everything else follows.

7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To answer your question YES, Hold down the HV/EV button and it will show HV. This only works until the engine warms up and then it returns to EV. However, step on the gas a bit and the engine will come on again, let it coast in drive and it will continue to charge. I went from 13 miles to 25 miles today just doing some local shopping. Have fun with your Prime.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <ST: voyager>?
    in my pip, when i run out of juice and the engine fires, the warm up cycles will often allow me to continue on in ev, as the engine is recharging the battery.

9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I remember, the Pip 2012, was similar to the Prime. Initially, when the Engine is on, all of the energy goes to the wheels. Later it is shared with a portion going to charge. It always depends on the load factor i.e.:
    Uphill OR Downhill. sometimes it is difficult to tell.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't have a scan gauge, just going by the hsi and energy monitor, which i know aren't totally accurate.

11. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    From a full charge we get about 20 to 25 miles of EV operation. Then the engine runs to propel the car. Some power flows to the battery while the engine is running at light load, and some power flows from the battery at heavy load (engine + electric power). Electricity also flows to the battery from regenerative coasting, braking, and B mode as we know. The oversized battery in the Prime (vs. the conventional Prius) will power the car at light load situations even when I expect the car to run in HV.

So...plug in and recharge when there is no cost except regular electric rates. Then just drive and let the wizards at Toyota figure out the best mode. (When I know I'll drive beyond EV range changing to EV Auto mode does yield better gas mileage for the trip--engine operation for high power segments that would otherwise rapidly draw down the battery.)

12. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you actually empty the EV charge, it takes a long time for car to show charging again.

13. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just realized why the car went from 13 miles to 25 while driving locally. I was making a lot of stops, so each time I restarted and went to HV, the car had to go thru it's HV first priority and since all speeds were 35-45 the excess energy charged the Traction Battery.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, 12 miles of recharge during hv without force charging is amazing!

Andyprius1 likes this.
  15. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes I was amazed. so to run around in HV is a good idea. at some point it does stop charging. It seems to be about 26 or 28.

bisco likes this.