1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Only Mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Deanlu22, May 23, 2007.

1. Deanlu22

Deanlu22 New Member

I installed the electric only mod about weeks ago and it has performed as adverised. I can often go 2+ miles before the battery wears dons to two bars. But I need to stay under 35 MPH.

My question is, as of yesterday I cannot engage the EV Mode. When I try to engage it a message appears on the screen reading something like 'cannot engage EV mode at this time' And it should work cause all of the conditions are a go - like a charged battery, warm engine and speed under 35 MPH.

Any suggestions as to what may be the problem??

Mountain View

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My bet is your HV battery was too hot to enter the EV mode.

Ken@Japan

3. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have to agree with Ken. I had this same thing happen to me twice this week during two 90 degree plus days. At night or early in the morning it engaged as normal...

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are several conditions that will deny EV. One is if the battery is over about 105 degrees F. Another is if you are accelerating, even fairly gently. There are other conditions as well.

Also please note that driving in EV until the battery is down to two bars and the engine kicks in by itself is EXTREMELY INEFFICIENT AND WASTES GAS. Probably one of the reasons Toyota left the EV button off the American Prius was the knowledge that most Americans would misuse the switch and get worse mileage and higher emissions.

If you really like driving without burning gas (as I do) consider buying a ZAP Xebra. Properly modified (with bigger batteries) you'll be able to drive 40 miles entirely on electricity and never burn any gas at all.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like the name of a first rate ZAP dealer.

5. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Another situation I've encountered EV mode being denied is when the front defroster is on.