1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Only Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dmclennan, Jan 6, 2007.

1. dmclennan

dmclennan New Member

There are numerious discussions on the installation and use of the electric only (EV Mod: Coastal Tech, Sigma, Free...). I'm still unclear on approx how long will the car run on electric only at varying speeds. For example, I have a 5 mile stretch of commute in stop/go traffic, at 0-20mph. Will the electric only get through this?
    Thanks
    Don

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It really depends on the road you're on. The maximum speed in EV Drive mode is 55km/h in NA models. The distance you cover depends on the battery SOC, how hard you press the accelerator and the incline of the road.

Even without the EV mod, I doubt it'll last 5 miles in rush hour traffic. Actually, I'm fairly certain it won't last that long.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Don McLennan @ Jan 6 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]371762[/snapback]</div>
    Unless you have the wind to your back, and the trip is down hill, five miles is WAY too far. If the HV battery starts totally full (as full as it lets you) and you drive "normally" in EV mode, you've got a fraction of a mile. And only under 34mph. Nobody has ever suggested that the car is meant to run as an EV for anything longer than a few hundred feet.

Some people have tried to see how far they can get in EV mode. Fun, for certain. But in the end, all it really does is consume more gasoline.

4. AndreAndHisPrius

AndreAndHisPrius New Member

with the battery currently equipped on the prius, no you could not travel that far. But if you perhaps have a modifiction done by the group named calcars / calcars.org . This would increase your battery capacity without taking up any trunk space, not only that they modify the car so you can charge it as well. http://www.calcars.org/howtoget.html - how to get a plug in hybrid + Electric Only Mode = PERFECTION. Customers who purchase the plug in hybrid modification now get 100 + MPG. The electric motor is good for more than 120,000 miles if i remember correctly. Any who thats my opinion on the subject. The car was ment to hvae the capability to run on Electric Only Mode in other countries and besides getting the Electric only mode modification is good none the less. Because the batteries get charged when driving anyway, and the fact that the computer will use the engine even if the Ev mode is on if it has too, there is no real danger in putting that modification in. But who knows, i dont have the expertise to speak on this but it doesnt seem to technical to understand. Though adding the Extra batteries would add 300 lbs more of weight. But in my opinion its worth it, and maybe you could possibly just get half the batteries if you dont need as much? Who knows, When i get the chance i would like to get this for my car.

* somthing i dont get. You all have probably seen an example of motion creating energy with the example of someone riding on a exercise bike and lighting a lightbulb on the end. Why cant this same method be attached to the wheel of a car and route the potential energy back to the battery? It seems like a very simple method of regenerating the batteries, im no expert at this stuff though but it does seem logical.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andre86 @ Feb 22 2007, 04:56 AM) [snapback]394429[/snapback]</div>
    Is this a serious comment? I'll answer it, but I have a feeling you're playing with us. What you describe is exactly what regen braking does: It pulls power from the wheels and turns it into electricity, which is then stored in the battery. Doing that, of course, slows down the car, which is what you want to do when you apply the brakes. The whole process is less efficient than not slowing down, but more efficient than throwing the energy away as heat as you do with friction brakes. There is no free lunch.

Tom

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you consider how many patents have been applied for and even
    issued on non-working perpetual-motion devices, one sees how easy it
    is for people to be taken in by the notion of free energy created
    out of nowhere...
    _H*

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Feb 22 2007, 06:17 AM) [snapback]394461[/snapback]</div>
    you could take it a step further. Wasn't there a video showing this RAV4 EV owner who uses an exercise bicycle to work out AND charge his RAV4?

8. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Feb 22 2007, 07:46 AM) [snapback]394504[/snapback]</div>
    However, I'm sure it's been a long time since the Patent Office even looked at anything that smacked of perpetual motion. By now they all know about the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Dave M.

9. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes. Sign me up.

Oh sorry! I thought it said Eclectcmoi Only.

Never mind.

10. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius