1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric only past middle line!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by adrianblack, Feb 14, 2010.

1. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was just up driving on Mulholland Drive and on the way down the SoC ended up being really high. Well, when I was down on flat roads I noticed that I could start from a light and push the HSI past the middle line and it would stay on electric only. I have to say I have never seen this behavior before. I can get about 1/3 of the way past the middle before the ICE kicks on. Neat!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What mode were you in? Was you climate control on (heat)?

3. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It was a beautiful day here in LA, in the high 70's, so I had all the windows open and climate control totally turned off. (I think if I had turned it on I had it set for 72F. I'm not sure the temp setting affects things when the HVAC is off.)

As soon as I was one bar down from the very top, it was back to normal with the engine turning on right at the middle line.

But while it was doing it's thing, I was still seeing the "sticky" middle line, but I could go up about 33% past the middle before ICE would kick off! The first time it did it, I thought I was imagining it, so I tried a few more times and it was the same thing.

Acceleration before ICE kicked off was pretty good too, with me having no trouble with keeping up with traffic light to light.

While coming down the hill, the SoC never got high enough that the ICE came on to burn off excess power .. but I figured it would any moment as for the last part of coming down Laurel Canyon, the battery indicator was totally full and I was still using lots of regen.

Oh, I was in ECO mode, by the way. (The mode I always use.)

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is what I would have guessed. Seen similar last summer even at two bars from the top. Never made it that high on the HSI but say about 60%.
    It is fun uncovering the quirks of this car... much more than any other I have owned.

5. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting, I wonder what determines when it will allow this? If we only had the SoC and max charge/discharge settings working for the SGII. Clearly the Max power draw allowed by the Battery Smart Module/Hybrid ECU is higher at that moment, allowing you more than usual EV power.

During normal operation, is SoC is at two bars indicated, you get less power draw and torque from MG2 than it is when SoC is higher ... but clearly I was getting even more torque and power than usual today. Sadly, I didn't even have my SGII in the car, so I couldn't tell.

I need to figure out the max discharge and charge rates from the ECU -- it's not a multi-frame response so once the proper math and data is identified, it's possible we can get SGII gauges of it.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking that it used electric more aggressively than normal with 7 bars lit too. But most of my practice was five months ago, so some of the details are already forgotten.
    I would stay that the top bar lights up when it is only 7.5 bars full, but you can still use regen until it is 8 bars internally.

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have found that the car does unusual things when the battery is full. There is a steep hill round here that completely charges my car by the time I reach the bottom. I then find I can run the car upto about 50mph on battery only with the electric going past the middle line but not into power.

Once the battery has dropped a bar it does seem to revert back to normal.

8. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Toyota PHEV Prius is supposed to do 60mph on EV only -- and I was wondering if Toyota changed the drivetrain in some way to accomplish this.... I was thinking the limitation in our Prius was the power reserve available to start the ICE, not a physical limitation due to MG1/MG2 speed, etc.

This max SoC mode should get a new name. As far as I can tell it was not in the Gen II car.

Hyper-EV? :)

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably nothing mechanical about it... all software. The GenII folks came out with a hack that allowed for a more enhanced EV mode. We are just waiting for you to figure out how to control that aspect of the car. :)

10. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Actuall that Gen II hack isn't pretty. It essentially tricks the car into thinking it is out of gas (a failure mode.) It either does it by sending commands or by cutting fuel.

We know now the Gen III does not have the out of gas mode, so that hack is not possible. But it seems we just need to keep the SOC high to go 50mph. That's cool!