1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Operation above 48mph

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by EZW1, Jan 10, 2009.

1. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It happened to me for the first time this afternoon and I was flabbergasted. Outside temperature was 67F and had been driving around for over a half-hour at speeds below 45mph. I hit a stretch of road where the speed limit rose to 45 so I pushed my Pri up to 50, and when I backed off the pedal it dropped into pure electric mode and stayed there for the next couple miles! I couldn't believe what I was seeing since I understood this was not possible above 48mph.

Thought I'd share this with all of you.

By the way, my current mileage is at 62mpg!

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yea, quite possible the engine was spinning but no compression and ignition and therefore not producing any power. It is quite possible I misunderstood what others have been saying that the engine does not shut down above 48mph, so I presumed it was always running. Hmmm.....

4. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I do that all the time, at almost any spped. When you back off ,quickly it jumps into electric mode. As long as you don't accelerate or go up a hill you can coast EV mode for quite a while.
    This also happens when coming down long hills when I'm in the B mode, braking mode. I've had well over 80 mpg on trips back down from Prescott AZ at 5,000 ft elev to Sunny Phoenix ar only 1,000 elevation.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you have a ScanGauge (or similar method to monitor engine rpm) you can verify that the engine will turn @ ~960 rpm when the road speed is 42 mph or higher. The MFD will show arrows from the battery just as EV mode, but the engine is turning with no fuel being used.