1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Range

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Fuel Economy & Prime EV Range' started by allopatry, Dec 29, 2023.

Tags:
  1. allopatry

allopatry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I traded my 2022 Prime in for a 2023 Prime SE model in October. My EV range on the 2022 went from 25 miles initially to 36 over time. My 2023 started out at 34 and is gradually rising. Today when I unplugged and started the car it finally hit 40 miles of EV range. Wondering what others are getting and how long it took them to reach that range?

douglasjre and Gokhan like this.
  2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I prefer GE models for a balance of quality and the ability to be easily serviced in middle USA, but Miele and Bosch are extremely solid choices if you have a reputable shop near you that will service them.

I'm sorry, I had to when I saw this thread. :D

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just note that GE sold its home appliance division to Haier in 2016. Haier has the right to use the "GE" tradename for these product lines for a couple more decades.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as far as the caris concerned, range is based on a formula of past driving miles/kwh.

for some it goes up, for some it goes down, for some it is similar.

as far as ge is concerned, we passed on their electric range, but love the washing machine, chunese though it may be.
    always had the cheapo whirlpool variant, but no longer made.

5. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You’re weighing in a bit heavy at 4 compared to before. Temptation? You were doing really well at 6. I am heavier than that at about 5 in a generation 4. You should be able to get it down to 5 from the 4, or 50 miles.

6. Peter3232

Peter3232 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Hi everyone.

I’m giving this thread a bit of a bump, since I have a question about EV driving range with my 2024 Prius Prime SE.

I’ve had the car for about 4 weeks now and I’ve plugged it 3 times (it’s not a daily driver). Each time I’ve charged the traction battery to full, both the MID and Toyota app report an EV range of 31 or 33 miles.

It’s my understanding that the predictive EV driving range is calculated based on a number of factors,
    including past driving behavior. As a result, I may never see the reported 44 mile EV range that the SE is capable of. Is this correct?

Additionally, does it take multiple charging sessions for the predicted EV driving range to “settle” in because there’s a greater range of driving data to pull from? It seems like this might be the case from reading about this, but I wanted to get your opinions on this one too.

Thanks in advance!

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Past History is probably the biggest variable in the estimated calculation. 33 EV miles in winter is probably average around here. Traffic flow plays a big part in EV range, not much any of us can do about that except find a less traveled route. All the other efficient driving techniques do as well. Warmer temps of spring and summer will bring the estimate up, unless driving faster and / or using A/C more at lower temps. Driving a lot of hwy in EV will also hold down the estimate.

#7 vvillovv, Mar 9, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
  8. Agent337

Agent337 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    2023 Prime SE here purchased in July 2023. I've noticed the the EV range according the the Toyota App has crept up to 56 miles of EV range as of a few weeks ago. It was a pleasant surprise to see! I understand that the battery level displayed between the car and app do differ, so it's kind of hard to judge how much battery is actually left in the traction battery. In the car, I have the EV display to show the battery percentage, next time I do a full charge I'll switch it to display the range/distance remaining to confirm if it also displays 56 miles. I'll be sure to take a screenshot of the app screen as well.

I've used the AC on rare occasions in the last few months since the weather has been quite mild where I live. I almost only use EV mode for city driving and heavy traffic on the freeways, once I'm up to highway speeds I switch it over to HV mode, and almost always drive in "normal mode".

9. Zyrian

Zyrian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I got my '23 SE Prime used with 6K miles, initially showed around 37miles estimate, now it's closer to 43-44, but in reality I can do 50-55 around town. Speed is everything, if you go over 70, gas is probably cheaper, or stay under 70 :) Charge every other day mostly, but with L2 top off I had 100 mile days, in 2 months put in about 200kWh actual (not app fake kWh) and a tank of gas for 1600 miles, so estimated average is about 4.3 cents/mile with GA power / gas prices. Probably cheapest car you can run these days.

deev, douglasjre and mountaineer like this.
  10. JimLudden

JimLudden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I mostly just put around town. But the DTE on full EV mode indicates 42 after a full charge. And I've never used petrol on 34 mile round trips.

11. Agent337

Agent337 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Alessandro_Ibi likes this.
  12. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Dang you Americans get so much more info in app lol

We get: charge level, time to full estimated, and estimated range. That's it.

Not even a charge history

Alessandro_Ibi and Sedril like this.
  13. Agent337

Agent337 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I did update the Toyota App to version 2.5.0 which came out about 2 weeks ago and it did change the layout quite a bit. Any chance that might be the case? If not, sorry my northern neighbor! :D

14. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Nope, that is definitely not the issue. unfortunately haha. Its okay, I just plug it in and the scheduler works its magic and im full up for my next drive. I only plug in at home really, not worth it to plug in elsewhere so far. Not for the driving and electricity costs anyway. Its maybe a dollar or so to charge up from 0 to max. My bills are barely changed.

It's roughly 6.7 cents per km on gas, and roughly 1.8 cents per km on fuel. So I'm happy to charge up as much as possible at home. Much, much cheaper and greener to use our hydro power to drive :)

#14 Zeromus, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    Alessandro_Ibi likes this.
  15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I get 39 miles city and 34 miles highway in my 2021 Prius Prime Limited. Gen 5 should be more than 50% higher than that.

Gen 4 Prius Prime is a very fuel-efficient car though—making the best out of the small PHEV battery. It gets about 6.3 mi/kWh in the city and close to 6 mi/kWh on the highway. The true gas mileage is about 70 mpg. Gen 5 Prius Prime is not nearly as efficient.

16. ken2023

ken2023 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Your calculation is off, you are getting more like 4 mi/kWh. 6.3 is an unrealistically high number, would be 213 MPGe to put it in other terms you might be familiar with.

Preebee and douglasjre like this.
  17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is not a calculation. It is shown in the eco diary on the multi-information display (MID).

The battery capacity is 6.34 kWh on the plug. 6.3 mi/kWh is 40 miles, but you lose some kWh on the AC charger (~ 5.7–6.0 kWh on the battery); so, perhaps it is more like 37 miles. I get 38 miles in the city, which should be about 6.5 mi/kWh in the MID. So, the MID agrees with what I get in the city. My record was about 8.0 mi/kWh or 46 miles (hypermiling of course). As I said, Gen 4 Prius Prime is a very fuel-efficient car, and its EPA mpge and range values are grossly underestimated. With Gen 4 Prius Prime, it is easy to obtain 7.0 mi/kWh in the city if you drive gently and slow.

#17 Gokhan, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  18. ken2023

ken2023 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yeah I knew your numbers were off. You're just cherry-picking a best case, not providing any realistic estimate. I mean, you can get 200 mi/kWh, on a long trip down from the Rockies.

Preebee and douglasjre like this.
  19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No, I get a 38-mi BEV range consistently in the city. There is no cherry-picking. That is about 6.5 mi/kWh or 202 mpge.

20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Incidentally, I get a 33.5-mile BEV range on the freeway with 57-mph driving (55 mph actual speed). That is 178 mpge.

As I said, Gen 4 Prius Prime is an incredibly efficient car as long as it is not driven too fast. It has the best aerodynamics of any Prius to date (better than Gen 4 Prius and significantly better than Gen 5 Prius, albeit not as good as that of Tesla Model 3 etc.), and its tire rolling resistance and drivetrain losses are second to none in the whole industry. Therefore, its fuel efficiency shines at lower speeds up to 55 mph. It is at the pinnacle of economical cars.