1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric seat service / repair history

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Johnny Cakes, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Long story as to why, but I have to move the electric seat from the almost fully back position (which is the position I drive in) to the fully forward position many times PER DAY.

One of my fears is that the movement mechanism will fail in the fully forward position hundreds of miles from my destination, rendering the car basically inoperable since I won't be able to get in.

I realize this is a pretty esoteric topic, but does anyone have thoughts on:

1. Maintenance that should be performed, given that the seat is getting this much movement per day? Lubrication? Cleaning the tracks?

2. Is there any way of easily moving the seat if the motor fails?

3. Has anyone heard of the motor failing?

Thanks!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I've replaced in a few Toyoda models it's pretty fast operation keep extra on hand is easiest thing to do it's small put it in back of car . I'm not sure I understand why moving the seat so many times as a thing are there a lot of driver changes If you drive with it all the way back all the time why do you move it forward or to some other position what's the logic the motor won't wear out if you use it a lot or what's happening maybe I didn't read correctly but yeah if it breaks all the way forward that would be a pain I would hope it would break in the position I'm usually sitting in most of the time but then again

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Put in a manual softex seat like my persona has I care more about the material than elec movement . Maybe if I was handicapped or something like that and needed I don't know what quick movement I can't imagine not being able to pull the little lever and slide myself forward unless the lower part of my extremities didn't work that might be a thing for electric seat fore and a aft movement

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sometimes you can slightly over voltage the seat motor directly and twill move again . But soon won't and will need a motor on the track assembly . Generally the units I've removed to replace motor were seemingly well lubed signs of grease etc . So generally it is button pushing that causes eventual fail .

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is a very unlikely event, and something rarely reported here, if ever. especially in the first 150k miles.

if it is a major worry for you, i would get the troubleshooting and repair instructions from the service manual, and have the necessary parts and tools in the car as tom suggests.

you might also learn if it is possible to disable and move manually, idk.

alternatively, could you make it to a local dealer when traveling, or would it be undriveable?