1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Smart Car

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by daniel, Mar 17, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just stumbled on the web site of Hybrid Technologies, which describes several EV conversions: Smart Car, Chrysler Crossfire, a sports car, and the PT Cruiser. But the site actually has an order form for the Smart Car.

Smart Car description:
    http://www.hybridtechnologies.com/products...?sec=1&id=1
    80 mph, 120-mile range.

Order form:
    http://www.hybridtechnologies.com/smartcar_order.php9
    $40,000.

So is this real? Does it exist? Are they selling it??? Or is this another "some day" company? The order form has a drop-down menu for requested delivery date with options beginning last month (okay, so that suggests they have not updated the drop-down list) which makes me ask if it's available now???

I've called and left a phone message, and I've emailed. (But Tesla took a month or two to reply to my first inquiries.)

2. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Darell just emailed me. The cars don't exist. Fooey!

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my eye on a local (to me) company, Universal Electric Vehicle, at http://www.universalelectricvehicle.com/

The Spyder is the sports car, but they are developing a three wheel commuter car called the COM-V3 that interests me. The idea is to make it less than the $70,000 they are charging for the "standard" Spyder. They started taking orders in December 2006 for the Spyder; I don't know if any are actually on the road yet.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    US$40k for an electric smart?!?! and I thought it was expensive in diesel in form in Canada (Cdn$16k without A/C)

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Mar 17 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]407436[/snapback]</div>
    I like it. I'd buy one today (the sports car). It ain't available.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 17 2007, 01:05 PM) [snapback]407502[/snapback]</div>
    That's not $40K for a Smart. That's $40 for an EV. If it was the first one out I'd buy it. But according to Darell, it's been long promised, and doesn't look like it'll ever happen.

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Daniel, Yeah I came across that website too and got all excited for a bit. (excited for others anyway ;) )

I think Darell would say if a "full featured" EV was available wouldn't he?

So it's back in MY court now. What's available as far as I'm aware as of 3-17-07 is:

Nevs (various kinds)
    Xebras (sedan and truck)
    Meyers Motors NMG (actually alittle about my price range BUT mentioned since it's freeway capable)

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Mar 17 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]407577[/snapback]</div>
    I'd have considered the NMG if it had a safe and guaranteed 40-mile range. But its range is only 20 miles on the freeway and 30 miles at surface-road speeds. That's not enough. And I'd be scared to drive that thing on the freeway. However, it is cute. I actually love the looks of it. That last nail in the coffin is its being a one-seater. Being absolutely unable ever to take a passenger for a ride is a big mark against it.

So I'm leaning toward the Xebra. Sean's LRX mod has a 40-mile range, or just under if you push it hard. Too bad I would not be able to take it to Lacey for the alternative fuel fair. But I could carry my street organ (not yet purchased) around in it.

8. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 17 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]407589[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah I'm sure most people aren't interested in the NMG because all of the same reasons we have. I think it's still the most unusual looking EV I have seen so far. (unusual in a good way)

So if you get an Xebra LRX would you be getting a Sedan or the truck?

Your buying an organ Daniel?? (I guess you would need the truck then??)

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Mar 17 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]407608[/snapback]</div>
    I'd get the truck. I am going to buy a hand-cranked street organ, because I love the music. It plays punched-paper rolls (I think they're actually plastic paper nowadays -- more durable.) It's going to cost me between $5,000 and $6,000 delivered, from Germany by way of England, including half a dozen rolls. I'll be likely to buy more rolls as time goes on.

I first saw a similar organ in Revelstoke, B.C. (of all places!) at the Nickelodeon Museum there. I fell in love with it at first voice.