1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

electrical noise under the hood

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jamielu, Mar 2, 2007.

1. jamielu

jamielu New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there's a well sustained electrical noise under the hood. I hear it only after I shut down the car.

I'm a second owner of an 05. before hitting 20k, i have never heard this sound. its a presistent electronic pur that I can usually count on hearing everytime I get out of the car, but there have been some cases when it's silent.

Im not sure if this is a problem that I should escalate to the DS or if its just a natural occurance. Its not bothersome and I dont notice anything else wrong with the vehicle. I am a bit concerned because I have been driving it a lot harder than usual. I average 40-45 right now where I used to be 50-55.
    I just a read an article about the consequences of driving hybrids too hard, so now i think I'll be a little more patient on the road. Lately, Ive been hearing a lot about the perception that hybrids are too slow and I cant hlep but to prove people wrong when I get the chance :D I mean, has anybody gone 100 mph on this thing!? Its such a smooth ride!

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy jamielu

"...an electrical noise under the hood..." is an inadequate description. It could be you are hearing the ICE coolant pump transferring hot ICE [ICE = Internal Combustion Engine] coolant into the thermos just behind the left front corner of your Prius. In my 2007 Owner's Manual, this thermos is detailed on page 324 [Section 3 - Information Before Driving your Toyota]. This pump makes a sort of 'whirring' noise just after you turn the Prius "off."

The Owner's Manual contains a great deal of informative and useful information. If, perchance, you didn't get an Owner's Manual, having bought second-hand, it might be a good investment to try to find one to buy.

3. jamielu

jamielu New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm...well it is kind of like a "whirring" . but like i said, this sound seems new to me. Its not soft, infact its pretty loud and lasts for a minute. I get the feeling that it is coming from under the hood. Maybe sounds will get louder as the car ages or I just start paying more attention to them.

hopefully, its just a natural thing for the car to do. :huh:

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like the coolant pump transferring to the thermos, just as the previous posted stated.

Tom