1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrical Problems with 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by plug-it-in, Sep 16, 2010.

1. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My friend purchased a 2010 Gen III Prius in the spring. Driving by her place I saw a Venza on her driveway. Apparently she had so many problems with the car (one week in the garage and the dealer was unable to fix it) that she was given an option by the dealer to get another Prius. But she opted for, no doubt adding some extra cash and the Venza. Hmm.....

Anyone had similar experience with the Gen III model?

2. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nope, not a one. Guess she got a lemon.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, no problems.

4. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What experience? You didn't say what problems she had. But as other posters have already said, most of us have had few problems, and I have not had any electrical problems (the title of your email).

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    18,000 miles and not a single problem. Other than the recall and dashboard squeaks. There are always a few cars with a bad part here and there. This is probably more a problem with the dealer than a generic problem with the Prius.

6. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    25,000 miles no problems/breakdowns

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It interesting that so many posts about IIIG problems come from second hand information with few details.

1 person likes this.
  8. SamelCamel

SamelCamel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm also going with the guess that the problem lies with that dealership's service department. I'd be interested to hear what the actual problem was.

No problems here so far. I've owned my 2010 Prius II (Gen3) for almost a month. Very reliable....

-Sam

9. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

No.

If it's really a concern, then you might want to check CR, or some other rag that rates/ranks and quantifies such things as reliability.

I'm pretty sure the Prius has a very good reliability record. Maybe your friend had a lemon? It happens, ya know. :eek:

All that said, nice to know that if "they couldn't fix" the problem, they gave your freind the option to get a new Prius. Sweet.

10. silverfog

silverfog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So how much money did the dealer make on this unfortunate experience?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did she qualify under the lime law?

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Does she get headaches? Here is a list of the problems we had:

1. No floor mat clips - someone forgot to include them but I picked up free from the nearest dealer.
    2. Beeping noise when backing up - the dealer applied a software fix and we only get one brief beep.
    3. Brake software fix - there was a momentary brake pause, less than a second, on unusually slippery roads (when a drizzle begins or wet leaves,) when gently braking, upon hitting a severe pot-hole or speed bump, at speeds under 19 mph that was fixed by a software download done at no charge while I had an oil change.
    Fortunately, there have been very helpful rumors about electro-magnetic interference (EMI) causing headaches, sterility, and impaired mental faculties. These helpful rumors have kept those people prone to headaches, poor social interactions, and already impaired mental faculties from buying a Prius and coming here to complain . . . A GOOD THING!

Bob Wilson

ps. Need some aspirin?

13. christofu

christofu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have been having issues as of late with my 2010 model. A few weeks ago I went out to my car and it was completely dead. Nothing worked. I borrowed my wifes car for the day and went out again a bit later to grab the manual to see how to get it started and strangely it worked like nothing was ever wrong. But all of the radio pre-sets and clock were reset.

Since this first time, it has happened three more times. Each time it blanks out and nothing works but then comes back to life later one. One of the times it must have happened in the middle of the night because it reset everything.

I, of course, checked to see if I left something on but could not find a thing. Im thinking, if that were the case, it wouldnt have come back to life on its own though.

I am due for my 20000 oil change so I will bring it up to the dealer then and see what they say. I have a feeling though, that for them, it will not be something that can be re-created. Murphy's Law!!!

So, there you go. A situation that is not third hand information.

14. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm guessing that if the dealer really checks out the 12volt Battery they will find a defect maybe a dead cell.....good luck, electrical problems are always a pita.

15. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bob,

Off topic, I know - but can you please elaborate on this? I complained of the bad habit my car has of dropping out of regen when hitting a pebble on braking and was told by the dealership that I didn't know what I was talking about. :) I'd love to get this resolved and have a TSB or something to back it up, and get it fixed. Thanks!

-Iain

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bob doesn't live here anymore. i think there may be a tsb if you havn't done it already, ask your dealer. or try another if they think you're crazy. but don't forget, you will always have a quick sensation of loss of braking when you hit a patch in the road while slowing down to the point where regen is dropping out to straight braking.

17. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, okay - I read Bob's post as having a solution for it being so sensitive in giving up on regen. The blip occurs between coming out of regen and applying friction... I hate it and have to modulate the brake pedal if decelerating and I see a manhole cover just to keep it in regen! The harder the brake is depressed (ie, the harder the car is regenning), the more sensitive it seems it is to potholes/rough surfaces/pebbles causing the dropout.

-Iain

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly. fortunately, the human response to the feeling of loss of braking is to press harder which solves the problem. can be disconcerting mentally though!

19. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pressing harder does not restore regen. I'm less concerned about the lack of braking than I am about the loss of energy I could have captured in the traction battery! :)

-Iain

20. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Were you looking at the traction battery charge level when this happened?
    The system will only regen until the battery is almost fully charged. Then it will go into friction brake mode. This is to protect the battery from over-charging.