1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrical whirring sound when steering left?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AndyWu, Dec 2, 2023.

1. AndyWu

AndyWu New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    What is causing the El.whirring sound in the front when I turn the steering wheel left driving at speeds over 15km/h? For a second thought it is a steering rack hydrolics, but learned that my Prius has electric power steering. It is deffo not a wheel bearing, as both front w.bearings have been recently changed, besides it is not that kind of sound, no howling sounds.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issue to deal with and if it's safe for me to continue driving for another 2 days until garages are open again on Monday.. Have t use the car over the weekend for kids trainings/games etc..

P.S. when driving over 50kmh or more, it can't be heard due to road noises, but when driving slow in ev mode, it is noticeable as of something gets stuck electrically..

Will try to record and upload the whirring noise later..

#1 AndyWu, Dec 2, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose it could still be the electric steering rack

3. AndyWu

AndyWu New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Update: it now makes that whirring noise even when going straight, but when stop it goes away, so could not record sound while driving..

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The steering motor can't very well whirr except when it's moving the linkage.

It will be interesting to listen to the recording when you can upload that.

5. AndyWu

AndyWu New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Sorry, can't record the sound, as it only makes noise when driving faster than 15-20kmh..