1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electrochromatic mirror, center armrest for Classic Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mikbrown, Mar 15, 2007.

1. mikbrown

mikbrown New Member

I just purchased a 2001 Prius w/54k. It is a great little car, and I am consistently getting 44.5 mpg over the last two tanks in mix of city/hwy driving. It is a little cold out here in Seattle, so I am hopping things get a little better in the summer...

On to my questions:

I really miss having a "auto-dimming" rearview mirror and (higher) center armrest. I sent an email to coastaltech on the center arm rest as they apparently sold and arm rest at one time, but no dice now. Anyone know where I can get on and perhaps find an autodimming mirror?

I have seen the mirrors online but they only seem to be for 2004+.

Any help appreciated!

Mike

2. c4

c4 Active Member

You could get the 2004 mirror and do some creative surgery to swap the mounts around with the 2001, but I like the entirely passive solution that I found that gives me virtually all the benefits of an electrochromic mirror at next to no cost, and that's to black out the existing mirror and then apply a piece of mirror tint film (the stuff usually used on the windows) on top of it.. You can also do it without blacking out the mirror first, but in some situations you may get some strange ghost reflections, but if that doesn't bother you, it's even simpler..

The key is that the tint film is not 100% reflective, so at night, headlights of the car behind you are cut dramatically in brightness and you don't get blinded, even by high beams, but unlike the "night mode" of the standard mirror, you're not looking at a tertiary reflection, so the rest of the scene (ie, the roads and stuff) remains bright enough to see, and during the day, there's enough contrast created by the relative dimness of the cabin vs. the brighter surroundings that you really don't notice any difference in brightness unless you happened to have an uncoated mirror side-by-side, and even then, there's not that much difference during the day..

You can buy a roll of the mirror film for about $10-15, but I went to an auto glass place and asked one of the guys and he just gave me a 6" wide strip, which is enough to do 2 or 3 mirrors.. The dimming effect at night is IMO comparable to electrochromic, but without the greenish tint and the cost and complicated installation procedure..