1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

electromagnetic radiation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Emmah, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Emmah

Emmah New Member

Does anybody out there know the levels (mGauss) of electromagnetic radiation in the 2005 Prius? Are they below 12 mGauss? Need to know in a hurry, as my Prius is due to be delivered on May 10. Have family members with cancer and pacemakers, and will be using the car for my real estate business. Don't want to cause needless harm to anyone. Thanks.

2. xevious

xevious New Member

I think you might be confusing apples with poisoned oranges. Additionally, I stongly suspect that you've fallen victim to needless worry about "evil magnetic fields."

First, unless you're wearing sharp ferrous objects while standing too close to a reeeeally big magnet (like those used by MRI), magnetic fields - be they electric or permanent - absolutely cannot harm you.

The unit Gauss is a measure of magnetic field strength, not electromagnetic radiation. 12 milliGauss (mGauss) represents an INCREDIBLY TINY magnetic force. For reference, the earth's magnetic field, which is also relatively tiny, is approximately 500 mGauss.

Yes, I'm certain that the Prius, like your current vehicle and all of the appliances in your home, generates at least one field of intensity higher than 12 mGauss.

By the way, if you've ever undergone MRI, you were exposed to about 50,000,000,000,000 mGauss. Several times. For prolonged periods. Feeling woosy?

But let's tackle the evils of electromagnetic radiation - a different beast entirely, despite the similar-sounding name...

Electromagnetic radiation in the microwave range represents a barely tangible danger if you happen to be one of the few people on the planet with an old (first or second generation) pacemaker. The old ones were programmed using a microwave signal and could be jammed by stray signals generated by microwave ovens and other radio equipment. It should be noted that the actual incidence of such an event was incredibly rare.

Prolonged exposure to high intensity, high energy EM (that's electromagnetic) radiation can definitely be harmful to your health. Sunburns are one example of how EM radiation isn't always your friend. Fortunately, the type of radiation emitted by our cell phones, wireless networks, toaster ovens, and electric razors is low intensity and low energy. "Non-ionizing" is the term, which basically means that it is physically impossible for the radiation to hurt you unless you do something really stupid. Looking directly into an energized laser pointer is a good example of mixing radiation with poor judgement.

In accordance with FCC regulations, the Prius absolutely does not emit any form of harmful EM radiation. Because Toyota cares so much about you, you'll even be shielded from those pesky UV rays by the Prius' window glass!

It should be noted, however, that f you get the package with navigation, your Prius will EMIT ELECTOMAGNETIC RADIATION IN THE MICROWAVE RANGE!!! (Bluetooth radio.) If this concerns you, I advise that you seek the nearest uninhabited island and hide under a rock. Most of the earth is rather well lit-up with these rays nowadays. (For god's sake, don't use a cellular telephone!)

3. jchu

jchu New Member

Just on additional note regarding the pacemaker issue. The batteries powering those 1st and 2nd generation pacers have long since died and those pacemakers would have been replaced long ago (assuming the same fate hadn't become the associated patient)

4. xevious

xevious New Member

Excellent point.

Or, perhaps, they are surviving without their pacemakers with the help of the healing powers of a magnetic bracelet?

;)