1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electronic Data Recorder

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by junkNtrunk, Jan 27, 2006.

1. junkNtrunk

junkNtrunk New Member

Question for all you Toyota techs....

Where is the "black box" physically located in a 2005 Prius? The data can't be downloaded through the DLC so I need to find the actual box.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Chances are it isn't a box, but an area of memory in one or more boxes. There is data relating to the airbags, ICE, braking, and probably many other systems. It can't be removed if it is only a "virtual black box."

3. junkNtrunk

junkNtrunk New Member

It actually is a box, it's the SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) which is part of the air bag system. Generally they are located under the center console or underneath the RF seat.

The last time I needed to locate an EDR on a Lexus, I was told by a Toyota tech that it was located behind the center instrument panel. I dismantled the majority of the instrument panel and never could find it, so I'm thinking I got bad information from this particular tech.

I do appreciate any and all feedback.....so far you're the first to try to help me out. Any other ideas, please let me know!

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

From the Alliance of Automotive manufacturers website:

"EDRs are integrated components of vehicle safety systems. There is no EDR module in a vehicle; rather, it is a function integrated within one or more modules in the automobile. For example, the EDR that is part of the airbag sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) monitors airbag performance and other measures that can affect crash performance, including crash severity, engine speed, throttle position, braking and safety belt use. "

5. junkNtrunk

junkNtrunk New Member

I really don't want to get into a who is right/who is wrong kinda thing, and as I said, I appreciate your feedback, but you sending me quotes on what an EDR is really isn't helping me out.

I'm just trying to locate the SDM in a 2005 Prius. The SDM is an actual, physical object (generally shaped like a small box).

Please forgive me for not having a better noun to describe the SDM.....for lack of any other description, it's a box.

I have removed dozens of SDMs from GM and Fords, but never a Toyota, which is why I'm looking for a little help.

6. sseres

sseres New Member

just for the sake of being nosey, what will you do with it once you locate it?

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

download the wiring manual and it'll show the location on the wire harness if it exists in the Prius. My understanding it's a memory location in the ABS ECM. Saves the last 5 second of data before the Air Bag depolys.

8. junkNtrunk

junkNtrunk New Member

Thanks for the information Frank & sorry it took so long for me to respond.