1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electronic key goes through wash in pocket

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jeffery R Lindholm, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Jeffery R Lindholm

Jeffery R Lindholm New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I let the electronic key to my Prius in my coat pocket and it went through the wash.

Now the clicker feature doesn't work, although I can open the car doors with the metal key that slips out of the electronic key, and I can start the car if I put the electronic key in the slot on the dashboard.

So, how do I get the clicker part working again? Does it need new batteries, or do I need to buy a whole new electronic key (I hope not).

And if I decide to just use it as is, unlocking the door with the metal key and starting the car by putting the electronic key in the slot, is that OK? It seems like I'd be able to do everything except click the door locked and unlocked from a distance.

Thanks.

Jeff Lindholm

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Open it up and remove the battery. Then rinse the circuit board and case with distilled water and let them air dry. While that is going on, get a new battery.

When the board is dry, inspect it with strong reading glasses looking for evidence of corrosion or other problems. Reassemble and put the new battery in and test.

If it doesn't work, do you still have a spare? You can try to relearn the old one but it may be fubar. Spare FOBs are available via Ebay and easy enough to replace the battery and retrain the car if you have a working FOB.

Bob Wilson

3. Jeffery R Lindholm

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you for the reply. I have a couple follow-up questions:

1) What's the circuit board? I have it separated into two pieces--a back panel that slid up and apart, and the heavier front part, which holds the battery. I unscrewed the battery cover and took the battery and a rubber ring out, but what or where is the circuit board I'm supposed to inspect?

2) Yes, we still do have my wife's other FOB. Where can I find out how to retrain?

Thanks.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When you took the back off, you should have seen a green, circuit board. Use a small flat to gently pry the board and rubber shell out of the hard case. Separate the green circuit board from the rubber case.

It is coated with a nominally, water-resistant, clear cover that would normally protect the little parts from damage. However, soaps, detergents and other wash water debris may have used parts of the board as a 'filter.' Distilled water will help get rid of any remaining salts or other foreign compounds and after drying, it should be 'as good as it is going to get.'

Use the search function on the forum but I had to buy and reprogram a second fob and key this summer when I left my spare in another pair of pants. I found the pants and now I have three keys and fob pairs.

If you run into problems, let the community know. I'm not the only one who has done the door-trick thing.

Bob Wilson

5. Jeffery R Lindholm

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here's what I see. There's the back cover with the silver raised Toyota logo. Then there the main part, with a plastic plate that's held on with four screws, and under that, there's a round battery with a plastic ring around it. Under the battery is a kind of cross shaped metal thing that I guess is the battery connectors. That's hooked onto a round plastic green thing about one-half inch across? Is that what you're talking about, it's really set into the battery compartment.

Other than that, the other half of the main part is a square black area about the size of a memory chip for a camera, with some very tiny white writing on it, so tiny I can't read it, but that section looks like it's a molded in part of the body of the thing.

So, which is the memory chip?

Thanks.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I see the problem is you have the NHW20 model, 2004-09, and this is a forum for NHW11, 2001-03 Prius. I've been describing the FOB of the older Prius, not realizing you had a newer model.

Sorry, I can't help you,
    Bob Wilson

7. Jeffery R Lindholm

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, I have a 2006. Sorry. Didn't realize I was in the wrong spot.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff