1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electronics going crazy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius2510, Feb 5, 2010.

1. prius2510

prius2510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius simply stop working while my wife was at the the gas station. She put the key in the ignition and it wouldn't start and she couldn't get the key out. We had to get it towed to the Toyota dealer. They kept the car for 3 to 4 days and couldn't figure out what was wrong. This was almost exactly what happened in the post entitled "broke down 700 miles from home" in that the dealer could not diagnose the problem.

I have a 2005 Prius with about 35,000 miles and a extended warranty from Toyota which is good for 100,000 miles or 8 years from purchase. So I thought this would be covered by warranty. They finally called me and told me the problem was caused by "debris in the air flow meter", which caused the computers to malfunction?! The charge for this was about $375, not covered by warranty. I said okay I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. For a while the car work fine but then it started with the key wouldn't start the car until I'd walk around the car for several minutes. Called the dealer and he said it was probably just the battery in the key. The next day work fine so I went ahead with the car as is. Several weeks later my daughter had the car about 200 miles from home in exactly the same thing happen except this time the car started but wouldn't shift into gear and she couldn't cut the car off or get the key out of the ignition slot . She said that the dash display was also going crazy. There was no Toyota dealer in the small town where she was, so I had it towed to a local repair shop specializing in Toyotas. I called the number on the warranty for Toyota and they told me to get them to check the small battery, otherwise to get it towed back to Toyota. The repair shop had to order a battery from Toyota and a solid 10 days later. It seemed to work that day but the next day when they tried to start it again the dashboard went crazy and it would either not start or start and not shift into gear and then not shut off, the dashboard would light up or the car wouldn't start or any variation of the above. The charge for this was over $300, parts, shipping and labor. They finally got the car running. I had to get a ride to 200 miles to the repair shop. I was able to drive it back to the dealership who had done the initial repair. They took the car and this time gave me a railcar which I realized was part of the extended warranty. Is now 4 days later and they still don't know what's wrong with the car! It seems to me that a car with this many computer operated features, diagnosis would be immediate with the proper tools and experience, if you're seriously trying to repair the vehicle. My questions are as anybody having similar experience and how I get the corporate or main office of Toyota involved in this situation. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    12 Volt Battery needs replacing happened to mine too

3. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius' have keys?

4. prius2510

prius2510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sandy-this must not have been clear in my post. The 12 Volt battery has already been replaced, but the problems still persist.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car has so many problems, that it's hard to know where to begin. A few questions/comments:

1. Regarding the dirty mass air flow sensor, did you have the engine air filter replaced at 30K miles? If you have been keeping up with scheduled maintenance, then I am surprised you would be charged for cleaning that part.

2. Did you replace the fob battery at some point during this saga? Does your car have Smart Entry / Smart Start, or not?

3. I understand your car now has a new 12V battery but still has the no-start problem. Regarding your comment about the effectiveness of the diagnostics, have you asked the service writer at your dealership what DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) have been logged?

4. You can try to contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331, but that is likely to be an exercise in futility as that center seems to be overwhelmed with the current recalls that are going on. Further, there's no technical expertise at that center so at best you'll get a sympathetic listener but no action being taken beyond what your dealer is already doing for you.

Good luck.

6. prius2510

prius2510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that when Prius has a thorny problem (which is not often, thank God), that it will take considerable time for the car to be repaired. Wait until the car is out of warranty and you have to pay a four-digit repair bill each time something goes wrong.

My responses to your points above:

1. I think you should dispute being charged for the mass air flow sensor, especially since you have prepaid service and an extended warranty.

2. It would not surprise me that you need a new fob battery after four years.

3. Thanks, if you post the DTC we can comment on what might be wrong.

4. Thanks for providing your story about what happened when you called the Customer Experience Center. Guess you didn't have a very good experience with your call... :cool:

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some dealers are honest and competent, and some are not. Try a different one.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just because the 12V battery is new doesn't mean it's good. The 2nd battery in my 2006 lasted ~5 weeks. Voltage readings are available through Maintenance Mode on the MFD or a gauge plugged into the OBDC port.

This sounds like the inverter problem from Nevada.

10. prius2510

prius2510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update-the vehicle was at the dealership for almost a week. The only error code that I could get out of the mechanic was C2318 Voltage Error Code. They could not find anything wrong with the car! The Catch-22 is that they could not submit a warranty claim because the "problem could not be duplicated". I was charged $221.06 for the service. Have had the car for 2 days now with no problems, but I have a sinking feeling that the problem has not been fixed and the car will be immobilized at the worst possible time when I need it most. From viewing other posts, it seems the problem could be either the inverter or the combination meter. Right now I see 2 possibilities. Either the problem was the 12 volt battery all along, which means I basically spent going on $1000 for a new battery, or there's another problem which couldn't be found by the dealer, and which will resurface. Again, does anybody know how to call or e-mail Toyota Corporate besides the general customer service number? I'll keep you all informed.

see the recent post entitled "my Prius will not turn off"for same problem.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It sounds to me like a 12V battery problem.

Just as a point of future reference, the fob battery is not used when the fob is inserted in the slot. In other words, a bad fob battery could not possibly cause your problems.

Tom

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC C2318 is logged by the transmission control ECU and means that voltage at that ECU was <=9.3V. That ECU receives power via the IGCT relay. I'm surprised that no other ECU complained about low voltage, such as the skid control ECU which is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

If the problem recurs, maybe the IGCT relay should be replaced.