1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electronics malfunction!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ALoLA, Aug 10, 2004.

1. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just over 6000 miles. Had a good deal of driving over the weekend (150+ miles) and all seemed fine going in to work. Then at lunch, the volume control from the steering wheel didn't respond. Otherwise, everything else seemed normal. But when I left work, the screen came up blank (after the Synergy Drive screen). Eventually the consumption screen appeared, but without any info. The A/C turned on/off from the steering wheel, but the Climate button didn't work (said something about checking the connection with the A/C). Map and Destination also didn't respond. Fortunately the car drives fine. Towards the end of the commute, the consumption numbers re-appeared, along with volume control. Any suggestions? I'm hoping it'll all be fine tomorrow.

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The Prius seems to have a special auto-fix feature. It seems that if you wait long enough the problems will fix themselves. Happened to me with the red triangle coming on every other day; it has been off for over two months.

3. Batavier

Batavier Member

It seems that the Prius sometimes has some computer trouble (I hope it's not windows based... :D ). Anyway, it also seems that most of these problems indeed resolve themselves. Maybe you could go to a Toyota dealer and have them check for any fault codes in the computer.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I see references to "going to the dealer and having them check the fault codes". Is this something that is covered in the warranty? I would find it hard to believe that a dealer would stop what they're doing to check fault codes based solely on the owner's word that 'something went wrong'.

Thinking of warranty, is there any way I might be able to get my hands on a Prius standard warranty before I get my car just to read it over and become familiar with it? Maybe this is a Dianne question or other dealer?

5. KathyY

KathyY Member

When I got the check engine or some other light (don't remember) I called the dealer and they said it was the gas cap which I had checked. They said they would check it out but if it wasn't a real problem it would cost me. That was when they told me the light would go away in a couple of days if it was the gas cap. The light went away and there have been no problems. Anyway, I would think that if the dealer were to check the codes and there was a problem that the warranty covered there would be no charge but if they found nothing you would pay the diagnostic charge based on talking to my service department.

6. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is pretty crappy that they would charge if they found nothing. I mean you had a problem. The check engine light came on. Its not like you are trying to waste their time and imagined the light coming on. It takes 2 seconds to scan a car and its easy. I think even if nothing was wrong it would be a nice customer service thing.

Alpha

7. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh one other thing.
    Is there a way to check the engine code by yourself? I know with most cars you can do some special thing, like turn the keys 3 times and turn on the head lights, and the check engine light will blink a code. WIll the Prius do that?

Alpha

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If it does not it should. We have this wonderful I and its being under utilized. Why should we have to go through the Mickey Mouse procedure to remove the back up beep. There should be a screen to do various modifications and personalize your car. Just one persons opinion. (Did you notice I said We... only 3 more days and it will be We)

9. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

If a warning light is on the dealer will check the car and not charge you. If no warning light is on, and they find nothing wrong, they will charge you. This is fair, when you think about it, otherwise many folks could come in at any time for a free check. There are plenty of people out there with nothing better to do.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you're totally wrong about that being fair. My 10,900 mile situation is a perfect example. I had a full dashboard light up, car went into limp mode, fortunately it went to only the 'problem' indicator for 3 restarts then all warning lights went away.

I went to the dealer who ultimately found nothing wrong and no recorded DTC codes. Now, we already know that there was one Service Campaign specificly to resolve a problem where DTC codes were not being properly recorded. There may still be issues with that.

Now, I had a 'real' problem, though no code was recorded. I have LOTS better to do than sit around the service dept. for an hour or more waiting for them to check codes. And I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for a problem that existed just b/c they couldn't find out why it happened. Tell me how that's fair?! :?

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the Prius is not truly OBD11 compliant as most scanners will not pull the codes. I also think that part of the 40D recall was to address some of that. Now I'm wondering if Toyota only issued notice of it to States/Provinces with compulsory emission testing. We have the comp/test but the Canadian cars are still not readable with a normal code reader. The 2k3 is the 2k4 isn't. This is just for the engine control computer. I feel if the car is still with in the 3-36 warranty any MIL incident should be a obligation on the dealer to test. FOC as well.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    North Dakota does not have emissions testing, but I did receive the 40D notice, and had it performed.

In my opinion, a reputable dealer will NOT charge you to investigate a trouble report under warranty. I can understand them charging if you just go in and ask, "Would you see if there are trouble codes, please?" But they should not charge (and I say an honest dealer won't charge) if you go in and say, "My car did thus-and-such. Would you please have a look?"

I agree that there should be a way to read trouble codes without a scanner.

13. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Amazingly enough, the problem has indeed apparently resolved itself. :) I had no dash warning lights, but there was definitely some kind of electronics malfunction. Then, on the way home today, all appeared fine. When I initially started up, the same symptoms were there (blank consumption screen, no control from the wheel for volume, etc.). But by the time I hit the second red light, everything was back to normal. Thanks for all the input everyone. :) I'll let the service guys know so they can pull up any fault codes, if any were saved. ;)

14. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Doh! The problem returned. I stopped by Longo to schedule an appointment for next Tuesday. I'll let you guys know what they find. Oddly enough, it seemed ok on the way back from stargazing tonight. No A/C running. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

15. Batavier

Batavier Member

Darn, sorry to hear that ALoLA... I have no idea what causes this strange behaviour of your Prius. :(

16. priusri02915

priusri02915 New Member

Same issue on my 2001 Prius

I'm driving along and the can drops down to 30. The screen flashes "Problem" the triangel and red car comes on. The first time I read the book. It says do not move the car. So I had it towed. Cost ME $140 + $75 because by the time it got there (I was on vacation in Vermont) the code was gone?
    Second time I just waited the next day and it was gone.
    Next time I brought it in for service, they were suggesting I was letting it run out of gas and thats why I was getting the error.
    Third time I brought it in. Again no codes found $75.00 to me.
    Fourth time, I had the guy come out side and look at the dash to see the error. He even turned the car off and on and the error came up.
    Last night 8/11 they called, the error is gone but no codes were produced. But the tech wants to take the car home to see is it comes up(it won't).
    I don't like that they don't look into it more and also charge. Because as someone else said in the stream, I myself don't have time for this.

17. priusri02915

priusri02915 New Member

Spoke to soon. The error did come up for the tech.
    They called Toyota out in CA. There replacing a computer part. I'll get the car tomorrow. When I do I'll post the part they replaced.

18. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd tell them to give you a refund on the previous issues. Its obvious that there was an existing problem.

Alpha

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree there is no reason why you should be liable for an intermittent problem, especially one that can be reproduced.

but as far as these problems go, they are typical of computers for many reasons. i have also wondered how the weather might affect the onboard systems because i know a laptop would have lots of problems in the normal temperature in the interior of a closed up car even in moderate temperatures.

you realize of course that after you get in the car and start moving, air circulation will cool off the car (try paying attention to the outside thermometer as it drops just after startup) cooling off the various systems and increasing reliability. i think that has to play a part in some of this. the fact that you are in a hot climate doesnt help much.

of course, there are hotter places but i will have to say that although it was hotter in Vegas, many cars dont sit out and bake because of steps taken to keep cars out of the sun (covered parking at shoping centers plus a large percentage of carports, etc.)

20. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks like they're replacing the dash display/screen. They had to order it from Japan, so it'll be a couple of weeks before everything is fixed. I have the car though, as it does not seem to impact the way the car drives. I just can't see or use the screen or controls. :) I wonder if this is the same thing as the electronic control unit that others have mentioned?