1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eliminated interstate driving from my daily commute to work...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Green Hokie, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div align="center">New personal record!!! Been waiting three weeks to post this! My work commute is 19 miles each way. Speed ranges between 25-40 mph. Once the last pip started flashing this morning, I drove another 37 miles before filling up at my local Shell station. Forgot to take my spare can of gas with me, so I didn't want to push my luck any further.

[attachmentid=10895]</div>

Attached Files:

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    WOW!!! Way to go! Congratulations.

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I could get numbers close to that, if I could post the Headline for my accomplishment ELIMINATED WIFE FROM DRIVING PRIUS, HERE ARE MY RESULTS.... :D

CONGRATULATIONS, Nice job

Of course then I would also have to post the pictures of a baseball bat through the windows because she has quite the temper. :) j/k

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are hereby nominated as an instructor for the Prius driving clinic held in conjunction with the next Central VA meetup ... details here if you missed the announcement.

Congratulations!

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the very good economy reading.

A poo poo on trying to squeeze the most miles from a tank of petrol.
    I see no sense in being the person most likely to damage their fuel system for running it the lowest.
    This also encourages over filling, not smart.

6. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    wow'........ very very nice

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 25 2007, 08:58 PM) [snapback]502183[/snapback]</div>
    I've been conducting gasoline energy studies and that requires running the tank dry:
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f22/non...615/#post140306

If running dry causes a problem, it isn't evident, yet. I'll let you know when I run into a problem.

Bob Wilson

8. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Aug 25 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]502146[/snapback]</div>
    HaHa. So true. My wife figured I was going to break my previous record with the newly discovered alternate route to work. Therefore, she graciously allowed me to drive the Prius the entire 3 weeks. Now, I owe her some extra "make-up" time with the car. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 25 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]502156[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Jim. I'll have to get back to you regarding our upcoming local Prius meet. I may actually be out of town that day (Tech is playing UNC). Will let you know as soon as I can. BTW, I saw the local NBC broadcast this morning about hypermiling. You look good on camera!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 25 2007, 09:58 PM) [snapback]502183[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks & I agree with you. Every time that I've filled-up after the last pip starts flashing, I've never been able to add more than 10.5 gal of gas. The pump auto shut-off feature conveniently prevents overfilling... at least in my case. Although I am quite curious, I have yet to run my tank dry just to see how many miles are possible after the last pip starts flashing.

Neicy & David, thanks for the encouragement. It'll be a while before I can post another tank like this one!

9. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Aug 26 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]502194[/snapback]</div>
    If the fuel pump fitted to your car stops working because it is not designed to run without fuel running through it I would assume you will tell the dealer you often run the tank dry when you go in to make a warranty claim. If you also keep driving until the battery is flat I hope you tell the dealer about that if the battery gives problems.
    As long as your not adding to the cost of my next Prius or devaluing my Prius with your activities, carry on.

I still fail to understand how emptying the tank is any more accurate a way of measuring fuel consumption than just filling the tank and measuring how much fuel is required to refill to the same level. If a car stops on a corner it may still have fuel in the tank.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 26 2007, 12:09 AM) [snapback]502246[/snapback]</div>
    With over 90k miles, our 03 Prius is past the gas tank warranty. I have a spare traction battery and in less than a year, I'll be free of the last warranties.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 26 2007, 12:09 AM) [snapback]502246[/snapback]</div>
    Running the tank dry minimizes dilution between samples. I've considered both siphoning and an external pump but both are dependent upon getting the hose to the lowest part of the tank. The existing fuel pump is already there (or close enough.)

Once I've finished the winter series, I won't need to do it again. But during the gasoline tests, I carry a 1 gallon spare tank and immediately drive to a safe place to refuel. This minimizes the battery stress.

Really, the interesting thing is the OP achieving 800 miles at 80 MPG by avoiding interstate travel and using a high energy fuel. Although 14 miles is sufficient to minimize the warm-up costs, I suspect the tire pressure is at or even a little above sidewall maximum; wheel alignment is spot-on; and oil level is between F and E. The OP may be running a lighter grade ICE oil and using a block heater. It would be interesting if the end points were published so we could look at a topology map of the route.

Bob Wilson

11. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, it would be good to know how he got such excelent economy.

I think my point is still is a valid one. When telling people the fuel consumption you have achieved there is no value in the distance covered on a tank, it's the MPG or L/100km that matter not miles or kilometres per tank. In making mention of extrordinary tank milage it may make people think the game is about maximum miles from a tank rather than miles from each gallon. I have only been a member here a short time and already I have seen evidence of this. One person posted a photograph of a filler neck almost overflowing, I think that is evidence people are misunderstanding what the goal is here.

It is a very different matter doing testing on fuel but people are testing their car and their driving not just their fuel.

12. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congratulations, you achieved what everyone else is trying to,
    though I would not take the chance of running out of gas.
    You could have filled up with 1/4 tank left, and your achievement would have not changed much.
    I think the ideal driving, to get the best out of the Prius, is under 40mph.
    Not always the choice for everyone.

13. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Aug 26 2007, 05:59 AM) [snapback]502287[/snapback]</div>
    Bob, my tires are set at 44/42, I use an EBH in the morning (for 3.5 hrs), the engine has 3.5 quarts of synthetic oil (Mobil 5W-30), I have about 8530 miles on the vehicle.
    The link provided below (mappoint.com) will show you the exact route that I take to work. I have removed the first and last mile for confidentiality.
    http://local.live.com/default.aspx?wip=2&a...snculture=en-US
    <div align="left">
    Start point:
    Staples Mill Rd & Springfield Rd
    Glen Allen, VA 23060
    End point:
    Laburnum Ave & Audubon Dr
    Richmond, VA 23231

Select "shortest distance"
    Click on "Get Directions" and there you have it.
    For the drive home, just hit "Reverse" above the Start point box and you will notice the route home is slightly different in the middle part of the drive.
    Hope this helps.</div>

14. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Aug 25 2007, 10:57 PM) [snapback]502203[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! Kudos to NBC12 for making me look semi-presentable in any medium.

You know that game will be a snoozer, especially since it's in Blacksburg, so you might as well not waste the time. :D

FYI, the link with your driving route doesn't work for me. It truncates the URL to http://intl.local.live.com/. I even tried copying and pasting from the link's properties, oddly with the same result.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've got the opportunity to cut my commute from 12 miles to 7/10ths of a mile. The middle school closest to me is looking for a librarian.

But I won't. I have more support where I am (except for money) than that library. I know the librarian that left and why she left. I just got new computers, will be getting new software and am building collaborative teams with the staff. I know that staff that was there and she couldn't get more than one teacher to collaborate with her. The new administration was cutting staff, moving offices into the library taking instructional space, etc. I'm surprised they are advertising for a librarian at all. The collection is fantastic, better than mine. And she *had* control of her budget. But I don't know what the situation is now. But if she was unhappy enough to leave, I don't think it's a place I want to be.

So I'll stay where I am. Thankfully I have the Prius (and a new EBH) to help keep my consumption and pollution down. And I'll be retireing in 4-5 years. So I think I'll stay with the devil I know.

I had wanted to teach at the new elementary school that feeds into my local middle school, but that principal brought his librarian from his old school so I never had a chance to even bid on the job. And now that Margo's leaving, I don't know who I would have been working with at the middle school.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Aug 26 2007, 09:14 AM) [snapback]502320[/snapback]</div>
    I had a little difficulty getting the maps so this is as close as I could come:
    google.map
    topographical map

You've choosen an excellent route by avoiding interstates, which will draw off traffic from the seconary roads. The topographical map suggests the elevations don't change much, another fuel savings.

All in all, this is a great profile for getting the best from a Prius. The only thing not covered is use or non-use of AC and parking in the shade. But this is a Southern thang and other folks might not understand.

Well done and the results speak for themselves!

Bob Wilson

17. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 26 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]502358[/snapback]</div>
    hmm... Not sure why the link doesn't work. It's simply supposed to take you to mappoint.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 26 2007, 01:05 PM) [snapback]502377[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, but you completely lost me with that repy. :huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Aug 26 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]502439[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Bob. I did not use AC at all during that 801 mile tank. The Prius is parked in the sun all day at work, but gets about 1/2 hr of shade before I leave work. Heat really does not bother me at all. I'm quite comfortable with all windows down on 95 F days.

BTW, your google map chose a different route than the one I use. If you go to mappoint.com and enter the information provided in my previous post, you'll get the right route.

18. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Aug 26 2007, 06:48 PM) [snapback]502491[/snapback]</div>
    OK, I got it by using mappoint.com. (I could have brought it up by Google Maps anyway. I just didn't take time earlier.)

Two questions: Do you use the recommended routes both to and fro? Does traffic volume on Laburnum allow you to keep it below 40 where the limit increases above that in the East End?

19. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 26 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]502515[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. I use the routes recommended by Map Point to and fro. Here's why. Going to work, there is a stretch that is a rather long & moderate downhill descent, which really increases my MPG. Whether by accident or design, on the way back home, Map Point actually selects a route which bypasses this particular stretch (which would of course be a lengthy uphill climb & bad for my FE). This program must know that I'm a hypermiler. :p

Traffic is surprisingly light on Laburnum, especially in the mornings. There is a very short stretch of Laburnum (I think about 1 mile) where the posted speed limit is 55 mph. However, with so few vehicles around me (& multiple traffic lanes), I rarely need to go above 40 mph along this stretch. The rest (& majority) of Laburnum is 35 & 45 mph, along which my speed will range from 25-40 mph.

20. janiceschafer

janiceschafer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for posting the link to www.mappoint.com. Do you know if the route it provides at say 8:00 AM or 5:15Pm on a weekday is going to be the same or different than the route it gives at 11 pm on Saturday night. One of the reasons I ask is there is about a ten minute difference better the shortest distance and the shortest time routes for me and sometimes I definitely need the shortest time. (My child turns into a pumpkin if I'm not there by 6 PM.) The shortest time route takes a road with several traffic lights and heavy traffic so I was wondering if this would be the same at 5:15 on a weekday. (Yes, I know the easiest thing is to make certain I leave on time and am not rushing to pick him up -- however, that does not always happen. :( )