1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ellsberg dead

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jun 17, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Daniel Ellsberg, Pentagon Papers whistleblower, dies aged 92 | US news | The Guardian

Daniel Ellsberg, a US government analyst who became one of the most famous whistleblowers in world politics when he leaked the Pentagon Papers, exposing US government knowledge of the futility of the Vietnam war, has died. He was 92. His death was confirmed by his family on Friday.
    . . .

Meanwhile, 'Why don't I matter like Ellsberg?' says:
    • Manning
    • Snowden
    • Assange
    • Reality Winner
    Many were born after Vietnam but some of us Gray backs remember that time. The good Ellsberg did was his persecution helped get Nixon out of the White House. Although another reading of history suggests he helped defeat Johnson and Humphrey that put Nixon in the White House.

Bob Wilson

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    tis an ill wind.....

Too bad about Humphrey
    Had he waited a bit and been able to hitch his outsized political ambition to Carter rather than the festering (something one does to their finger with a lancet) that he served with, then the latter's career might not have been as truncated.
    I'm often reminded about H3 whenever I see our current VPOTUS on TV.
    Hubert Horatio "Happy Warrior" Humphrey, Jr died waaaaaay too early, from cancer @ 66.
    Husband of one wife.
    Father to four great kids.
    Son and namesake of an interesting, old-school door-to-door medicine man. H3 informally dropped the 'junior' midway through his political life. He helped teach Americans how to live, and then he helped teach those who were fortunate enough to know him how to die.
    His former boss, who wasn't fit to lick-shine Hubert's work boots, did not suffer contrary opinions gladly.
    H3 was critical of the LBJ administration's handling of the Veetnam war, and thus the latter excluded him from high level meetings and then (being LBJ) fanged him, effectively ending his ability to sit in the big chair.
    I'm often reminded of LBJ whenever I see P45 on TV, although Johnson may be credited for possibly saving the lives of 10 airmen during WW2, and not earning a Silver Star while doing so.

'The good Ellsberg did' was at least done so for honorable reasons.
    The historical record does not indicate that Ellsberg (a USMC 1st LT) actively profited from his leaks or attempted to do so.
    Mentioning him in the same paragraph that includes the pieces of human debris cited above is to besmirch Ellsberg's contributions to the United States of America that he appears to have served faithfully with Honor Courage and Commitment - the core values of the USMC.

One of the delicious ironies that make studying history so delightful is the fact that Dan was charged under every 'new liberal's' favorite new law, the......(wait for it!!!).........Espionage_Act_of_1917 and was looking at over 100 years in Club Fed for a case that even a prosecutor as dazzlingly untalented as our current VP could have won for doing almost nothing and while standing up.

So.
    Why didn't Dan Ellsberg go to jail?
    Illegal wiretaps.
    A bungled office break-in.
    Spectacular over-reaches by the FBI/AG.

Sound familiar?
    Yeah.
    Me too.
    I'm often reminded of John Newton Mitchel when I see our current AG on TV.

....The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
    Ecclesiastes 1:9

#2 ETC(SS), Jun 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The truth in journalism is a good thing. No matter what is uncovered. Sometimes the truth hurts. Ellsberg stuck to the facts and yeah, in a weird way, helped get Nixon elected.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...and Nixon's AG got him exonerated.

Circle of life.