1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ELM 327

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Roger2689, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Roger2689

Roger2689 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought an Elm 327 off AliExpress, was supposed to be the "updated version" . Bought it to have a more visual representation for my car vitals while driving. But the module cannot connect to my ecu .
    For a fact i tried it on another car i got, a 2019 Honda Grace also a Hybrid Vehicle,the module did work great, with near-realtime data no lag and fluid gauges with the Torque app and for both cars I've use the same phone,no change in setting. Any fixes ?

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some adapters are vehicle specific, but those that are usually say so in their description.
    Some adapters are better than others and apps will complain about not being able to access sensors because the adapter doesn't read them correctly or at all.

Have you read your adapters manual or recommended adapters list (if it has one) ?
    Torque , Hybrid Assistant and DrPrius all have a list of recommended adapters.
    I don't have a clue why your adapter works in the Honda and doesn't work in the Toyota.

3. Roger2689

Roger2689 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the regular chepo elm with blue and orange sticker . I used all the app you've mentioned and from what I've seen from torque,looks like the adapter is having a hard time figuring out the obd protocol for my prius C but on my honda it was a few minutes work to get the ecu data. Fyi no document/booklet was provided. Is there any security features on the odb port that's preventing the adapter from working. I guess i should try it on other Prius c to see if the issue is on mine only . Will update the thread when I gather more information.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If it's the same adapter I"m thinking it could be and the blue outter shell is translucent, you can look inside with a bright light shining at it and see the board(s) inside it.
    If it only has one board. that is most likely the main reason it is not working, at least on your Prius C.
    If it has two boards that are visible when looking at it closely, that configuration of the cheapo seems to work adequately most of the time.
    I've never heard of any security on the ODB2 side for the adapters, other than the pairing process.
    The pairing process reminds me that an app on the phone can hold onto the pairing when the app is closed, making it more difficult or impossible for another app to grab the pairing. Car Scanner is one of those apps that holds the bluetooth connection until the Disconnect button on the apps Dashboard screen is tapped.

5. Roqu3

Roqu3 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Same experience, that one doesnt work with the C, look for the "Vgate icar pro" i bought that one and works fine

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not sure which app you're gonna wanna use most, but torque, hybrid assistant and dr prius all list ODB2 adapters that are tested to work with each app. I think torque pro needs the more expensive adapters for full functionality, followed by hybrid assistant and dr prius still works with the least expensive adapter the panlong for around $15 - $20 at amazon or alibaba. My cheapo ELM 357 (i mean 327) blue mini still connects to all three apps, but hybrid assistant complains after the newest version and torque gives weird readings, especially gps - altimeter.

Check out the web site for app you plan on using most. Look for the list of tested adapters.

#6 vvillovv, Aug 30, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2023