1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Elusive, computer unrecognized problems with 2012 Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DeniseV, Oct 17, 2013.

1. DeniseV

DeniseV New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012 Prius v. It has intermittent, minor to serious problems that have not been detected by the computer. These include, when engine is READY, it won't recognize Drive. When in Drive is moves in Reverse, has locked keys in the car and does not always recognize key. The Cruise Control sometimes accelerates the vehicle on its own. The Braking option doesn't always work properly. When touching the brakes the lights turn off. Sometimes when turning the lights on or off, the radio turns off. A new problem is that the brakes almost fail to engage, then, at the last minute they do. Toyota has sent a regional rep to take a test drive with computer diagnostics and found nothing. So, they won't do anything. These problems have occurred since I purchased the vehicle. I have suggested that they trade cars with me while someone else drives it until they experience these events (actually the very first event was seen by a service person but that doesn't count, apparently); change computers; reprogram the computer. They won't do any of these things. It seems that if it doesn't show up on the computer when they are looking at it they won't do anything. There can be a long time between events and the events sometimes occur in clusters. Does anyone have any insights or thoughts on what the problem is? Thank you.

I am supposed to go through arbitration, but have not received the papers for that and the record seems to show that the corporation almost always wins. Failing that I have to sue the corporation - not my style really.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to do your due diligence and work with the dealer. They can't fix something if they don't know what's broken, and your options diminish as time passes. I would leave it at the dealer and demand a free rental, tell them to return it when its fixed. Some of those issues sound a bit like user error, so that may be what they're thinking. (right or wrong)

3. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Wow! :confused: Welcome to Prius Chat!

4. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What area are you in and what accessories are on the car OEM and aftermarket?

SPH-D710 ? 2

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Was this car ever in a flood?

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Document, document, document.

Keep taking it in and reporting in as much detail as you can give them the weather conditions, date and time, mileage, speed, action you took, action you expected, action that occurred, etc. The more data you can give them the more a pattern may emerge that helps them. Your complaint should include your perception of if the issue is a potentially dangerous one if it occurs in the wrong situation.

Investigate your states lemon law.

Sounds like some grounding problem.

7. etobia

etobia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ABSOLUTELY LEARN ABOUT YOUR STATES LEMON LAW! I won a suit against Chevy. The basic ground rule is that the company cannot fix THE SAME ISSUE 3 times. (NY)

Get the tag numbers for each issue and the result (even when it's a flat out denial of an issue). VIDEO THE ISSUE. While I never have filed a lawsuit with Toyota I had the entire gps/audio unit replaced when I showed tech a video of my gps buttons changing radio stations! (There wasnt any diagnostic triggers and it required numerous visits to the dealership to get resolved.)

does anyone know if the list of issues Denise describes falls under a "one issue" situation?

When I won the Chevy deal it was because it wouldn't start and would have a constant dead battery. They didn't really know why it was happening until I happened to go out front and could hear a humming sound by the gas tank....turned out the fuel pump wouldn't shut off!

I'll tell ya this....the auto industry hates the lemon law because when they lose the case the vehicle I question cannot ever be sold. We had multiple calls to purchase the vehicle back by Chevy for more than it was worth, but we refused.