1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

elusive stage 4

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hobbit, Feb 2, 2006.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Referring to the almost-lost knowledgebase article about the
    Five Stages of operation,
    http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?k=14&mode=article
    which I had to re-read to confirm this behavior ... I'm increasingly
    baffled as to WHY Toyota imposed a rather artificial barrier
    between either Stage 3 and Stage 4 operation. So there I am, out
    just today for example ... been going a while so the engine is right
    up to temp, maybe 70 or 80 C; the battery SOC is nominal, everything
    is right with the world ... except that I'm stuck in stage 3a
    operation, and the damned engine is running and running and running
    for no good reason. Oh, and the heat is completely off, so that's
    not a factor either. Problem is that I'm on a road where I can't
    quite get above 34 mph and jump to stage 3b, which would help
    somewhat, and at every red light I approach it turns green and
    traffic starts moving just before I reach it so I can't stop for
    the requisite 5 second STUPID wait-time to jump to full stage 4.
    There is NO good reason this should be. With all other conditions
    in the proper state, the fact that I have to eventually come to a
    complete stop with the engine ka-chunkin' away at idle and SIT there
    that long is totally IDIOTIC. Five seconds is an ETERNITY when
    you're able to go and traffic is bearing down behind you, and if
    you drive like me you're always slowly drifting up to red lights
    and trying to not actually come to a stop. Sure, I can work around
    it by popping into EV mode for a while [which doesn't actually help
    move to stage 4] but that makes it harder to pulse-n-glide.
    I really think that a lot of peoples' mileage complaints stem from
    times where the engine is running but not delivering a lot of
    power, i.e. not running efficiently, and this loafing along in slow
    traffic with the engine refusing to actually shut down and glide
    on electric is one of the prime causes. I cannot think of any
    reason, related to safety or otherwise, that a full stop is NEEDED
    to force the car into its most efficient operating mode -- it should
    just transition gracefully into that when the temp and battery get
    up to appropriate levels.
    _H*

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I face that situation every day. I agree, it's the most frustrating thing.

Like you say, one option is to leave a little gap, then run up over 34 mph, and glide long enough for shutoff, but that's not always possible.

I have found though, that you don't have to be at a complete stop to get it to cut off. If I glide at 3 mph or less for the 5 seconds or so, it will shut down and I can manage that easier than a 5+ second complete stop. It also conserves a bit of momentum for when you ease back into electric so you don't risk cutting the ICE back on. (Actually, I think it's probably really 4 kph, the car seems calibrated for kph on the transitions, which doesn't always map exactly to mph. I aslo see the kph thresholds on the regen/mechanical brake transition and the '42 mph' engine cut-on). The key though seems to be that you HAVE to be gliding the entire time (no arrows at all on the display).

The other thing that really does work for me is the B-N-D stop. If I drop it into B just before stopping then cycle through N-D with the slightest pause at N, it shuts down immediately, and will stay in electric until you push the pedal too hard again. Elapsed stop time is about one second instead of the interminable wait.

3. joelparks

joelparks New Member

Hobbit, when I saw your naked prius 'people's choice' at the AltWheels festival, I hadn't yet taken delivery of mine- and I hadn't yet found this forum. I didn't know what a CAN bus scanner was and I don't remember seeing anything that might have been one, in retrospect.
    So, do you have a SCANGauge or CAN-View?
    I'd seen mention of stage-4 operation but I hadn't gotten around to finding this article - thanks for the link. I'll have to pay more attention to see if I can see the transitions reflected in CAN-View data...

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, by "stop" I also include "slow enough", which is still
    pretty close to Not Moving in the opinion of the guy in the monster
    pickup behind me ... yes, if I can stay down at that very low creep
    speed long enough I'll finally get to stage 4 too.
    Tempus -- I still can't reproduce your "instant" shutdown. If the
    car is still warming up, shutdown at a stop is almost instantaneous
    anyways. Under rather rare conditions I've found that moving to
    N and back to D encourages a shutdown, and I don't think "B" has
    anything to do with it ... I've been trying to duplicate your
    observations, and I think you're just seeing normal stage 2
    behavior no matter what you do with the shifter.
    Joel -- nope, no canview yet; still running on the analog stuff.
    But if I want to start seeing MG torque and speed, I think that's
    gonna have to happen in the digital universe. I'm stuck between
    Buy or Build, and not really thinking about car hacks that much in
    this ersatz, globally-warmed, dead of winter we're having!
    _H*

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The only possible explanation I can see is that it's a calibration step. It wants to measure some characteristics of the engine's running and/or shut-down when up to temperature - and waiting until you've stopped is the only way to do it in controlled conditions.

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

My car seems to get to stage 4 somehow quite regularly without ever stopping, but not always. I have not been able to figure out how, but there seems to be some other way it can get to stage 4.

This happens even more now since the SSC50P update. I start wondering where I can stop to get to stage 4 and discover I am already running on battery.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that if you've crested 34 mph it can *seem* like you're
    in stage 4, but still be in stage 3b. The test is to get down
    under 34 and blip the accelerator to light the ICE again, and
    then watch it resolutely stay running after you back off. That
    little subtlety is one of the weirder parts of how this works.
    But who knows, maybe the code in SSC50P is starting to work away
    from this. I haven't updated my ECUs.
    _H*

8. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I do see this effect, but then later it seems like stage 4, still without any stops.
    My usual commute I get to full warm up on the highway going 55. As I come off the ramp my car gets under 30 mph and I am on battery. Some days I can stay on battery for a couple of miles.
    If engine comes on, it will stay on a while as you describe, but then later it goes off again, and still no stops.

And other days when I do make a full stop it doesn't work that differently. Sometimes it goes to battery easily, other times the engine seems to run for no reason. Overall though I am still getting much more battery mode operation on my commute than before, espec on days

Below 32 battery temp the engine runs, but at 35 to 50 deg I get battery operation like I used to only get when temps were over 50.

One route example is 128 to rt 38 north to Eames St. Some days I can go on battery almost all the way from the off ramp to Eames, with maybe one engine run for one of the uphill parts.

So I guess I'm not sure how to tell when I am really in stage 4 any more. I do notice if I am slowing down and engien goes off it does not lock in stage 4 even if I make a full stop at a light. I need to stop again some days so the engine goes off while I am stopped.

9. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Hobbit,

I saw your question and some responses over on yahoo! And been trying to figure out what my car actually is doing.

Today I went off with no block heat warm up and went down 128 to 93 and then off to Commerce Way exit so about 2 to 3 miles between ramps!

Car was stopped at lights before I got on 128 but well before warm up. Engine stayed on.

For both exit ramps the car went into stealth immediately when I slowed below 40 mph.
    And I never stopped or slowed below 25 mph.

So since it did it twice in a row does this mean stage 4? Or maybe it doesn't count because I went over 42 mph in between?

Then for other times the car clearly gets to stage 4 easily without stops etc, if the car is already warm because I stopped somewhere for a short time. So I am thinking maybe this applies to my car in the mornings too, when warmed up with my block heater? So maybe the car being warm at start up fools the car into skipping the idle calibration step?

I will start watching to see if I really get to stage 4 for other cases where I am going under 40 and have not prewarmed with block heater. Maybe for these I do have to stop, often twice, since the first time the engine may go off before I get to a stop.

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would suggest that the referenced article represents some of the primary parameters for entering the each of the stages. A couple of things to note. The information sited was largely gathered in Japan with Classic Prii. I would suggest my 04 never followed those rules all the time. That is based on observing the cars behavior, using the MFD Energy Screen but not trusting it and later using the ScanGage to get more information. The problem with the ScanGage data is the considerable delay in updating the data (several seconds).
    There are clearly other parameters that are being considered when the systems determine that you can achieve ICE off in Stage 4. Battery SOC is clearly one of them. Once I got the CAN View it seemed to confirm that. I would purposely stop at one stop sign I had early in my commute. This would let me test the 5 sec ICE off rule. I appear to be in Stage 4 ( on warmer days? not yet sure on that one yet) with out a 5 second stop but not always. I also find there are times when after fulfilling all the criteria for Stage 4 operation I can not get the car in to glide (low stealth) mode no matter how hard I try with out resorting to the EV or N option.
    I also think this now happens much more often and easily since I have had the SSC50P reprogram. The car goes to ICE off much more easily including skipping over the 5 second requirement to get to apparent Stage 4. The only caveat to all of this is that I use a block heater and radiator blocker in an already mild climate and that makes a big differencee. I am usually in stage 2 shortly out of the drive way and over 70 C 158 F by the time I get to that second stop sign.

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would suggest that the referenced article represents some of the primary parameters for entering the each of the stages. A couple of things to note. The information sited was largely gathered in Japan with Classic Prii. I would suggest my 04 never followed those rules all the time. That is based on observing the cars behavior, using the MFD Energy Screen but not trusting it and later using the ScanGage to get more information. The problem with the ScanGage data is the considerable delay in updating the data (several seconds).
    There are clearly other parameters that are being considered when the systems determine that you can achieve ICE off in Stage 4. Battery SOC is clearly one of them. Once I got the CAN View it seemed to confirm that. I would purposely stop at one stop sign I had early in my commute. This would let me test the 5 sec ICE off rule. I appear to be in Stage 4 ( on warmer days? not yet sure on that one yet) with out a 5 second stop but not always. I also find there are times when after fulfilling all the criteria for Stage 4 operation I can not get the car in to glide (low stealth) mode no matter how hard I try with out resorting to the EV or N option.
    I also think this now happens much more often and easily since I have had the SSC50P reprogram. The car goes to ICE off much more easily including skipping over the 5 second requirement to get to apparent Stage 4. The only caveat to all of this is that I use a block heater and radiator blocker in an already mild climate and that makes a big differencee. I am usually in stage 2 shortly out of the drive way and over 70 C 158 F by the time I get to that second stop sign.