1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

email notifications

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by jaw444, Dec 30, 2009.

1. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At some point, a while ago, i stopped getting email notifications on my computer. The last one i got was on 11/9. Previously, i always got email notifications of posts on threads i subscribed to. Then they stopped. At first i thought the threads just weren't getting any posts. But then i noticed i'm getting the notifications on my iPhone, same mail accounts, different machine. The other computer is a MacBook.

On closer inspection, i see that the notifications are coming through ok onto gmail webmail and onto my iPhone, but i don't use webmail for email, i download my mail through POP (i think that's what it's called), using Eudora. Until 11/9, i was getting the posts that way. Then they stopped, though still coming to gmail webmail and my iPhone mail.

So, it must be something in my Eudora settings?

Is this unique to me or has it happened to anyone else? I expect it's something on my macbook, something to do with Eudora, that is. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this or has any suggestions.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Dogfriend. Thank you for your reply with the link to the earlier thread. I realize you replied about 3 months ago. I am just now responding because there's so many life things going on, as important as this is to me, and as aggravating as it is that it's not working, it has to wait in line behind so many other things.

It sounds like you have the correct solution for the problem you were having (hopefully). I'm not sure this will help me because, although i have MobileMe, I am subscribed to PriusChat through my gmail account, and TWC is my ISP, roadrunner.com. I don't use apple Mail and as far as i know i don't use an Apple server. As far as i know (and i could be ignorant about something here) my mail should not be affected by Apple.

But, i just noticed this tonight, actually have noticed it before but was unable to work on it until now. my posts are coming through fine on my iPhone into my gmail account inbox. On my iPhone i have 4 mail accounts, gmail, earthlink, me.com (apple) and roadrunner. The PC notifications arrive in my gmail inbox, as they should since i'm subscribed with my gmail address.

On my MacBook, i use Eudora to download all my mail. I stopped receiving PC notifications on my MacBook last November. At that time, as you reported in your experience, some of the threads were still arriving in my Eudora PC mailbox and some were not. But they all have stopped back in November, yet still arriving on my iPhone. Of course, it's possible that only some threads are arriving on my iPhone and others are not. I wouldn't know if some are not coming in because without the notifications, i wouldn't know about the posts.

While the whole thing seems illogical to me (another poster on the other thread said that switching to gmail solved his problem), i will try contacting Apple at the contact link posted in the other thread.

Thanks again.

PS after just writing this, i have gone and disabled the three email accounts i had in Apple Mail, which i have never been able to use because, frankly, i can't figure out how it works i'm embarrassed to say. I will send this as a test message to see if i get the notification, now that Apple Mail is hopefully turned off. Maybe i should trash the permissions or something.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You could email or PM Danny (PC admin) to see if he can find out why you aren't getting notifications in your gmail account. He was the one who figured out that Apple was blocking notifications to mac.com (and me.com) email accounts.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is a real shot in the dark, but could the problem be that the email notifications are being blocked as spam somewhere? My email goes through Yahoo, and a few months ago Yahoo's spam blocker became suddenly much more aggressive. I now have to scan my spam folder every day because of the very large number of false positives. In particular, any mail sent to more than one recipient is likely to be treated as spam. Fortunately, Yahoo does not block "spam," it just sends it to the spam folder, where I can, and now must, scan sender and subject lines for possible false positives. But the spam folder is not picked up by POP3, so I need to log onto my Yahoo email web page to check it.