1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency Brake, ABS and (!)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Balta, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Balta

Balta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK let me start with this I did change my brakes I change the ones in the front no problem but I had some issues when I change the drums as a noob i did not know that i had to disconnect so obviously I couldn't put it back together. and I had to take it to the mechanic.
    I took it to the mechanic and he was able to place the drum back on the car but he said that something was wrong when i pressed the pedal the drumswont stop
    we were not able to fix it but the car is breaking fine but I have the lights on
    and it seems that i caanot activate the emergency brake what can i do>

2. MP3gee

MP3gee New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You need the rear drum brakes adjusted. Could be several problems with drums including the barrel adjustment brake actuator inside the drum which will require bleeding the brakes if you replace it. As a quick patch to see if you can adjust them without working on them, you can put the car in reverse & drive approx. 10mph in reverse & slam on the brakes do this twice they should self adjust

3. MP3gee

MP3gee New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You will most likely have to figure out how to reset the lights, with by obd2 scan tool or techstream software.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When you say you have lights on- do you mean that you have warnings lights on the dash that are lit up? If so then you need someone with a Toyota compatible scantool to pull whatever codes there are. Or are you saying the the brake lights at the back of the car work normally?

If your mechanic can't figure out drum brakes and how the Prius controls them then you had better take it somewhere else. Did you/he have to do any work on the rear hydraulics (wheel cylinders)?- the prius needs a special procedure -using a scantool- to bleed air out of the rear brakes.

I realize that everyone was a noob at one time but learning on the job with a critical safety system ain't the best approach. No matter what is going on with the hydraulic braking system, the emergency (cable operated) brakes should work. The shoes and hardware should be installed and adjusted correctly, the cables should move freely, and the wheels should lock with the E-brake pedal pushed down, period.