1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency brake use?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mary Snyder, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

I would love to know how to keep the car from moving when on a slight incline? Do you put on your emergency brake, use the "b" gear, or will the car hold itself on the slight incline. I know my old car stayed put while I was waiting for the light to turn green at the top of the slight incline. I have a 2007 Prius. My other car was an "84" Chevy Cavalier. I have not tried it, and would appreciate any information.
    Thanks.
    Mary

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Dec 2 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]356789[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius sorta holds itself on an incline (it's a feature) but I find it drifts back and forth. I would either keep my foot on the brake or shift to park (pushing P is easier than shifting to N) and put on the parking brake.

BTW, what you did w/your Cavalier or any automatic transmission car is not a good thing. ALL cars I've owned w/autos in the manual about NOT holding your position on a hill by just staying in D (and possibly using the accelerator) instead of using the brakes. Some warn of this possibly causing transmission overheating and damage.

Both my 350Z and former Maxima have this clause in the manual "When stopping the vehicle on an uphill grade, do not hold the vehicle by depressing the accelerator pedal. The foot brakes should be used for this purpose."

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There really isn't much to damage by allowing the automatic transmission to do the holding, but it certainly isn't anything anyone will ever recommend. That's an unnecessary waste of gas (in a Prius, it wastes electricity) and it will wear out sooner. Rollback isn't completely prevented either.

In a manual transmission, that's an entirely different matter. Riding the clutch is just plain bad.

Use the regular foot brake instead.

4. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Dec 2 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]356802[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Cwerdna,
    I printed your explanation so I can refer back and of course do it. But wasn't that amazing that I could do this, I mean sit at the top of an incline, and not even using the brake and the car stayed there perfectly still, no foot on the accelerator either for all these years (since "84"'). I guess it's a different kind of car. Good thing I didn't try it with the Prius.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Dec 2 2006, 06:06 PM) [snapback]356818[/snapback]</div>
    I think it'd be fine to do w/it a Prius except that it doesn't work that well and just wastes battery power. The Prius has no torque converter unlike an automatic transmission.

I suspect your Cavalier also had a similar warning in the manual about not using the transmission in D to hold your position on a hill.

6. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Dec 2 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]356808[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks so much john1701a, I appreciate your kindness in helping me out. I will do this. I will use the foot brake. By the way you don't mean the emergency brake do you? I think you're talking about the regular brake.
    Thanks again,
    Mary

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Dec 2 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]356835[/snapback]</div>
    You don't feel it wastes electricity or you know it doesn't? Energy has to be used in order to drive the electric motor in attempting to keep the car stationary when you use it. If you're on the brake or in P, no energy needs to go to the motor.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Dec 2 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]356820[/snapback]</div>
    Correct. The emergency brake is a last resort method of stopping the vehicle, literally an emergency, and for parking on hills.

Using the emergency brake for hill parking was a must for my 94 Taurus. That kept the car from pinching the transmission, making it extremely difficult to shift out of park afterward. In a Prius, that is a non-issue since nothing ever disengages.

10. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Dec 2 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]356852[/snapback]</div>
    I don’t believe it uses more energy than it does at any stop light, considering the built in creep feature. You will notice that light brake pressure at a stop light still allows some energy to flow from the battery; heavier pressure will stop the energy flow. When stopped at an up-hill light the hill holder effect uses the same amount of energy and the duration is very short. Any additional energy use would be difficult to measure.