1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EMERGENCY? inverter coolant pump failure (P0A93)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gaujo, May 8, 2010.

1. Gaujo

Gaujo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 240 miles from home and this code is kicking in my 05. Had same code before and a new inverter coolant pump was the fix, but that was in town... Is this an emergency that I should have fixed at the nearest dealership, or should I just have it done when I get home?

-A/C cut out (just blowing hot air)
    -cruise control cut out.

Appreciate any opinions here! Nervous about doing serious damage.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Presuming the code was cleared & has now reappeared I'd find the closest dealer & talk to them. I suspect air was not purged from the inverter coolant or the coolant is low. Get it fixed now before any real damage is caused.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You definitely need to have your car looked at now as it is unlikely the car will make a 240 mile highway trip in summer weather without failing along the way. The symptoms you posted make it sound like the inverter is overheating again.

While waiting for your service visit, I suggest you make the car IG-ON (not READY, where all the dashboard warning lights are on) and see if you can:

1) hear the inverter coolant pump running, located behind the driver's headlamp assembly. If no, the pump is the problem. If yes,

2) do you hear air bubbles in the system? (that would mean that air is in the system and needs to be purged out)

3) You can also look at the inverter coolant reservoir to see if there is turbulence in the fluid. If yes, that shows you have good coolant circulation, and the problem is not due to the inverter coolant pump.

JuanGimenezpy likes this.
  4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I had this same error at 101k miles and it didn't clear. As the inverter began to overheat, I began to lose functionality, beginning with A/C, then moving to primary braking (hydraulic back-up only which is not balanced and easy to lock the wheels), the car began to surge, and eventually shut down (in an intersection no less).

Don't do as I do - get to a dealer if it persists. I was lucky to not damage the inverter long-term (or so we hope, it was 18k miles ago). Better safe than sorry (and broke).

5. JuanGimenezpy

JuanGimenezpy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    it seems that when the car stops cooling heated air conditioning, turn on the lights after error with red triangle,,, and then we begin to stop. The next day the car works again perfectly,,, until it starts to warm up again after an hour of use. and always the same problem. And will replace the small battery, and water pump Hybrid system, I can please help solve this problem .... Thanks!

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. JuanGimenezpy

JuanGimenezpy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Good morning !
    Please I need your help to solve the problem of my Toyota Prius car in 2008. The car is cold while working well for a maximum time of 1 hour, the first symptom is to stop the air conditioner to cool, then turn on the light triangle warning, after driving a little longer for the vehicle and no more moves. If you wait until the vehicle returns to work for a few minutes to cool, then everything fails again with the same symptoms. And you change the battery 12 Volt, and you change the water pump hybrid system and I can not solve! Please I ask you to help me to run my car .... thank you very much!

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Juan, follow Patrick's advice:

Make the car IG-ON (not READY, where all the dashboard warning lights are on) and see if you can:

1) hear the inverter coolant pump running, located behind the driver's headlamp assembly. If no, the pump is the problem. If yes,

2) do you hear air bubbles in the system? (that would mean that air is in the system and needs to be purged out)

3) You can also look at the inverter coolant reservoir to see if there is turbulence in the fluid. If yes, that shows you have good coolant circulation, and the problem is not due to the inverter coolant pump.

9. miguelzottoyahoocom

miguelzottoyahoocom New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please help me out i have a prius 2004 in which runs good no problem on it, recently around 3 months i replace the P0A93 code the inverter pump the electric one in the fender with a new dealer one and 6 months earlier i replace the other pump down the fuse box the car. my car runs well but after all day using it long tris around town the vsc lights and red triangle lights up, i scan the car and no codes on it, then next day still the same and after driving it a little lights get off if i drive the car in short trips no problem but then after driving long ones lights come on again, then also get the car scan and the code P0A93 return but the part already replace recently, also i try to purge the system but the same problem can someone help me out on getting this solve????im in mexico city no one in the country knows about this cars and this car was not sold in mexico

10. miguelzottoyahoocom

miguelzottoyahoocom New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please help me out i have a prius 2004 in which runs good no problem on it, recently around 3 months i replace the P0A93 code the inverter pump the electric one in the fender with a new dealer one and 6 months earlier i replace the other pump down the fuse box the car. my car runs well but after all day using it long tris around town the vsc lights and red triangle lights up, i scan the car and no codes on it, then next day still the same and after driving it a little lights get off if i drive the car in short trips no problem but then after driving long ones lights come on again, then also get the car scan and the code P0A93 return but the part already replace recently, also i try to purge the system but the same problem can someone help me out on getting this solve????im in mexico city no one in the country knows about this cars and this car was not sold in mexico

11. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Look into the filler tube of the inverter reservoir with the car in IG-ON mode (push button twice, foot off brake). Can you see the coolant flowing? You will need good light to see this. You should also be able to hear the slight hum of the pump.

If the coolant is flowing, check the radiator fan.

I don't understand in your post where you said you replaced the pump "down the fuse box." Maybe a translation error. You also said you replaced the one in the fender--sounds like the same pump.