1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency Question after Pickup My Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by berserk_sun, Jul 28, 2009.

1. berserk_sun

berserk_sun New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got my Prius this Monday, during the drive of my first day. Everything seems so perfect, but today when I drive my way back home. I heard some weird noise, and sometimes my feet can feel some vibration on break pedal when I hold the break pedal to slowing down my car.
    Then after that I checked the break inside an indoor parking lot. The detail symptoms are:
    1. The vibration only appears when the car is breaking at higher speed (more than 40KM/H)
    2. The sound when I press the break pedal is made up by many parts. First part, the break pedal will make noise itself, even I press it after totally shut down my car.
    3. Second part of noise seems from the break disk.
    4. Last part of noise seems from the hybrid system, the noise is like an electric motor, this noise appears during the break and stop after the car completely stopped.
    I don’t know if the sound is normal, I didn’t notice them at the first day because most time I was listening the FM and music. I already contact my dealer, and I’m going to send my car to the dealer to get a examine tomorrow morning.

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From your description it seems like the sounds you heard were normal, and related to the brake actuator. Reading the section of the manual that describes the unusual sounds a Hybrid makes or watching the DVD that comes with the manuals (if you get a DVD in Canada) would probably put your mind at ease.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When you first apply the brake (but don't push to hard) at speeds above about 7 MPH you are not using the brake pads. The large MG set (MG2) acts as a generator and slows the car putting the energy into the battery, this is regenerative braking. If you push down hard you also apply the brake pads to the rotors in a conventional fashion. When you slow down to approximately 7 MPH the regeneration shuts down and the friction brakes finish stopping the car,. You can feel this happen.

So you can have noise from the MG set, from the brake pads and rotors, and from the brake booster pump. I expect what you are hearing is normal.