1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency Tire Puncture Repair Kit Experience

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Robert21PrimeLTD, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Robert21PrimeLTD

Robert21PrimeLTD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Has anyone had experience with a tire repair using the OEM supplied puncture repair kit? The manual has all kinds of warnings about using the supplied sealant. I'm considering purchasing a plugger/rubber "noodle"/cement (plug) kit from the local auto supply store. This was the way gas stations repaired punctures back in the day.

I would still use the OEM compressor but plug the puncture with the plug kit.

What are your thoughts and ideas?

Attached Files:

BiomedO1 likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would get another method of airing up the tire as well; as far as I know the slime cannot be easily separated from the compressor that comes with the car.

I went upmarket some, have this Black Jack plug-repair kit (scroll down a bit with this company website link, to see product), plus a decent quality, floor-standing bicycle pump (Amazon.com link). Have done a couple of plug repairs thus with our 2010, and 2~3 times on other cars.

I think for fourth gen Toyota still supplied scissor jack and lug nut wrench? It's immensely easier to plug repair a tire when the wheel/tire's off the car. Even better, depending on time of day and weather, to put on a temp spare, and do the repair at home.

Some other items good to have:

1. small square of plwood, to spread the load of the scissor jack.
    2. gloves, preferably insualted, grippy material.
    3. flashlight or headlamp
    4. small spray bottle with soapy water, for leak detection
    5. side-cutting pliers, for prying nails/screws out of tire
    6. large plastic bag for storage of tire
    7. rags or shop towels
    8. reflective vest, traffic cone or triangle

#2 Mendel Leisk, Mar 10, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
  3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I just got finished putting one of those in my tire. Make sure you use a lot of rubber cement - those highway plugs goes in a lot easier.
    FYI: When I didn't use rubber cement, I'd get a slow leak.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Funny, the black jack kit has a bottle of lube, but it doesn't appear to be a cement, just some sort of rubber grease. Never had any subsequent leaks.

5. Robert21PrimeLTD

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Your List includes some good ideas. Thanks. BTW, the bottle IS separate from the compressor and the manual says that it can be used without the bottle attached.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would go with a Dynaplug instead

https://a.co/d/eFG2Kds

I don't have that specific one but it's the one I would get if I was in a market for a new one.

That brass tip isn't going anywhere once the plug is inserted.

But since we use the Prime mainly for city driving, I would probably call CAA and let them deal with the problem lol.

7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    FWIW, you can buy another slime bottle @ Walmart, around $18 here or opt for the entire kit for $50

8. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And a new TPMS sensor since the slime has probably clogged the original one :mad:

9. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the bottle is separate but the hose is connected to it, not the compressor so I'm not sure how you can use the compressor without the sealant bottle.
    Screenshot_20240310-191350.png

10. Robert21PrimeLTD

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Good point, thanks. I opened the compressor and bottle bags and you are correct. Now I need to purchase a good 12v compressor. I have a cheap foot-pump but it won't do the job.

Any suggestions for a good 12v compressor?

11. Robert21PrimeLTD

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Dynaplus are expensive ($100). Not sure if would be temporary and until tire replacement?

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    FWIW, one more than one occasion I've aired up completely flat tires with that bicycle pump I linked, not difficult. Very handy for occasional top-up as well.

13. Robert21PrimeLTD

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    FYI: Air Compressor Assembly (Toyota part # 44890-47060) $222.50, Sealant (Toyota part # 42606-47106) $118.75 = $341.25
    Spent less than $50 for a 12 volt compressor and plug kit. I long for the days when a spare tire was standard equipment.

14. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have this one. Didn't have to use it yet but the 52k reviews give it a 4.4.

https://a.co/d/0txTHtj

Because of the brass tip inside the tire, I'm not expecting it to fall of the tire.

15. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a screw in my Model 3 tire. Noticed it at home so it was easy to take off the tire to fix. It's about an inch and a half from the wall so a tire shop will not repair. It's on my winter tires, which I'll remove soon so I've patched it in the meantime. I used this kit (the Dynaplug is in the Prius)

GRAND PITSTOP Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Kit for Motorcycle and Cars with 6 Mushroom Plugs https://a.co/d/bQtm9BU

It was very easy. Remove the #&%$# screw, rim the hole so the plunger end can be inserted, push the mushroom plug in the plunger, push the plunger into the hole, screw the handle to push the mushroom head inside the tire, pull the plunger, cut flush to the tire.

BTW, I noticed the tire was low at a store (got a notification on my phone). I used this pump that I bought a few years ago. First time using it. It inflated from 15PSI to 45 PSI in 5 minutes. I was impressed.

EPAuto Tire Inflator Digital 12V DC Portable Air Compressor Tire Pump https://a.co/d/7ETvnnU