1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emergency Toolkit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PixelRogue, Mar 9, 2016.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking for specifics on a good emergency toolkit. Emphasizing "TOOL" kit here, as this thread is not asking for thoughts on flairs, tire inflators and the like. Specifically asking what tools you would carry in the event of an emergency fix on the road. For instance, you need both an open-ended wrench and socket (think they are 10mm) to disconnect the 12 volt battery. Thank yo for your technical insight. Just looking to prepare a small, yet adequate, toolkit (sockets, wrenches, etc).

2. Kylini

Kylini Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm curious as to how others will reply. In my Miata, I keep a wrench roll with everything between 8 and 21 mm (of which I have an extra because of front suspension bolts), a set of 3/8 sockets, a 3/8 breaker bar and ratchet, a Harbor Freight torque wrench, a mixture of pliers, and a full set of JIS screwdrivers. Then again, I also rallycross that thing and know how to disassemble and reassemble everything on that car!

Right now, I have a small bag (think bank deposit sized) in my Prius trunk that has a long P2 screwdriver (needed to adjust the headlights), a few miscellaneous other screwdrivers and pliers, a medium adjustable wrench, and a 21 mm deep impact socket with extension. I also have shop towels and a breaker bar. I wanted the right tools to remove a tire (though I should check if my car even has a donut in it) but if any Macgyvering needs to happen, it's probably going to involve radiator hoses (pliers) or a tilt bed tow. I can't think of anything I'd want to replace in an AutoZone parking lot on this car.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All the suggestions so far are quite excellent, but I always make sure my AAA card is in my wallet! ;) C'mon, you know it makes sense! :rolleyes:

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sears has some great Craftsman tool kits with ratchets and screwdrivers in fitted plastic cases.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A cheapo adjustable wrench is handy, just in case.

Chilly36 likes this.
  6. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Any mechanics with detailed specifics?
    - 8mm & 10mm socket and open wrenches
    - Phillips & Flat head screw drivers
    - Electrical tape
    - Adjustable wrench
    - Plastic molding remover tool/s
    - ?

7. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have the rollup toolkit as well; but also
    • Cold weather gear (2 sweatshirts, rain coat, warm socks, and boots)
    • large sheet of plastic (10'x10')
    • Water (2 16oz bottles)
    • Couple of chocolate bars (I seem to need to refresh these often)
    • flashlight (hi-intensity LED with spare batteries)
    • Leatherman
    • knife
    • 50' of paracord

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My main kit is intended to help me change a flat tire, as my Prius has no spare. This kit is very useful even if you do have a spare, and it's very inexpensive:
    Image1459724606.910202.jpg
    So what we've got are a tire inflator, a tire plug kit, a set of small pliers for pulling a nail and then cutting off the excess plug material, and some gloves so I don't get filthy changing the tire.

I also mentioned that Sears has various Craftsman Mechanics Toolsets that go on sale, with molded plastic cases which hold all the ratchets and sockets. This one's on sale now for $99, but it's probably overkill for an in-car toolset:

I bought one for about $60 which has 1/4 and 3/8-inch metric and standard sockets. I don't think you can find a metric-only set. The molded plastic cases are awesome, but you need to fit some thin foam inside to keep them from rattling when you go over bumps.

9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fuses
    Basic multimeter
    $
    ¼"-drive metric socket set
    Short piece of 2×4 to use as wheel chock, jack base, or spacer
    Full-fledged normal jumper cables are not needed, but consider carrying thinner jumper wires which would suffice to "jump" a Prius.