1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emissions/Safety Inspections NYC

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by unit333, Jan 19, 2010.

1. unit333

unit333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Guys
    This is a question for those who live in New York I guess
    After 3 failed attempts I finally registered my Prius 2010. NY DMV turned out to be worse than any other DMV I have ever been to. They couldn't figure out how to register a Hybrid for hours, despite the fact that I see dozens of Prius and other hybrids in New York everyday.
    Anyway, so I still need to do a Safety Inspection (not emissions) and was wondering if there are any places you can recommend that would do that and would be semi competent when it comes to hybrids.
    I live in Brooklyn.

thank you

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Where did you purchase the vehicle, they should have done the inspection for you if it was in NY.

Since you live in Brooklyn, just take the car to a dealership, like Bay Ridge Toyota if you're getting that big of a run around and let them take care of it.

I've purchased 3 Prius now here in NYC and never had a problem, but the dealer does all the legwork. Even after the first year when I had to go in for the inspections myself I never had a problem, and these were all done at private places, not a dealership.

3. unit333

unit333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I actually bought it in Georgia over the holidays and drove back, this is why I gotta do all this again in NY. So you think the dealer is the best place? I guess they work on weekends that would be good!

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If it's just an inspection (safety or otherwise) anyplace should be able to do it honestly... I work in Brooklyn and after work have gone to various stations over the years for my inspection sticker and never had trouble...

I've never bought a vehicle out of state so I don't know though what has to be done first, second etc. That could be the only problem you'd have, is if you didn't do something you were supposed to before going for the inspection.

5. unit333

unit333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thankx
    I made an appointment at BayRudge toyota for Saturday. They'll take care of it and I also just realized I will need them to drill the 2 holes on the front to attach the tag anyway. I rather pay someone to do it instead of doing it myself in this case eventhough its probably not hard.