1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emissions testing in Georgia?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bandgeek, Jun 4, 2005.

1. bandgeek

bandgeek New Member

Hey Folks,

I was thinking about this today. Has anyone out there had their emissions tested in Georgia? How do you get the car to idle for the test? How long do I have under Georgia law before I have to have my first test? As always, any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

2. twdusa

twdusa New Member

How do you get the car to idle for the test?

To get the Prius to maintain a steady idle
    (such as for emission testing) follow this procedure:

The following must be done within 60 seconds:

1)Ignition on (not READY mode)
    2)Vehicle in Park
    3)Step on accelerator pedal twice
    4)Place vehicle in Neutral
    5)Step on accelerator pedal twice
    6)Place vehicle in Park
    7)Step on accelerator pedal twice
    8)Place car in READY mode.....ICE will run (see rpms below)

A warning icon on the MFD will be displayed.
    With less than 60% throttle applied idle is 1500 RPM (approx)
    With more than 60% throttle applied idle is 2250 RPM (approx)

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

For hybrids that keep the engine off at idle, they will probably only take a scan from the ODBII DLC.

That is, assuming the Prius isn't exempt from inspection in the first place.

4. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Georgia:
    Alternative Fuel Exemption: Vehicles powered by diesel fuel or that run exclusively on alternative fuels (natural gas, propane, etc.) are exempt. You do not need any special paper work for this exemption. Dual-fuel vehicles must be inspected if one of the fuels burned is gasoline.

The three most recent model year vehicles are exempt from emission testing each year. For registration in 2005, this includes all 2003 and newer model year vehicles. Additionally, vehicles that are 25 model years or older are exempt from emission testing. This includes 1980 or older model year vehicles.

Source: Georgia's Clean Air Force.

5. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When I had previous GA cars tested, the drive wheels were placed on rollers, the transmission put in gear, and the car "driven" up to speed/rpms. How does that work with Prius?

6. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MadHungarian\";p=\"96350)</div>
    I remember that too, but that was only for older vehicles. Newer cars, like the Prius, can use the "tent" emission testing places.

The only reason the older cars had to use the rollers was to 'cheat' the current emissions test because that was how emissions were done when they were new cars...

The BP station on Northside DR right by I-75 still has the emission "rollers;" one of the two or three still left in the City of Atlanta.

7. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    oly: Thanks again for the info. You know Atlanta a heck of a lot better than I do Olympia! Close as I got was Portland--a beautiful city. But there are a lot more "roller stations" here than you think--e.g., Briarcliff at Clifton, Toco Hills, etc. You also know that my last car was an old one--bought new and kept 16 years (and "rolled" when tested in Dec. '04). I hope to keep the Prius at least as long! Take care.

8. pandahugs

pandahugs New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have the official answer: It is a known issue that Georgia does not yet know how to test the 2004 Prius on emissions.

Do NOT try to get it tested. The Clean Air Force was advising testing centers to FAIL the Prius and tell the owners to then go to a Waiver Center with the FAILED test to obtain a waiver for emissions. We had an open ticket with them and have updated them regarding the correct procedure.

GO Directly to a WAIVER CENTER with a copy of your registration for your 2004 Prius. They will issue you a waiver.

For Locations:
    http://www.cleanairforce.com/waivers_etc/waiver_centers.htm

This is the official response as of 1/25/2007. I have a birthday early in the year so I had the joy of going to multiple testing centers, calling Clean Air Force, Toyota, etc.... and being the 1st to show up at the waiver center to get to the right answer and my waiver.

9. pandahugs

pandahugs New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Emission Impossible - Video - WSB Atlanta
    www.wsbtv.com/video/11591691/index.html?taf=atl

Two months later and the "Clean Air Force" is still telling testing centers to Fail :blink: ALL of the 2004 Prius vehicles (because they haven't figured out how to test it), then tell the owners to go get a waiver.

10. priussoris

priussoris New Member

After reading this I starting checking my state and found this on all states it does sho GA. having a Hybrid Emissions test. You may have seen this before

http://www.meca.org/galleries/default-file/Part2.pdf

just saw this is outdated sorry 1999 and 2000 I jumped the gun on this one