1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Emmissions Inspection Sticker for NY

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by unit333, Jan 23, 2010.

1. unit333

unit333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey
    So after registering my prius 2010 the DMV in NY told me to go take care of Safety Inspection but that I am exempt from the Emissions Inspection. So I did that and got a safety inspection sticker. My question is is the Prius really exempt and if yes do the cops know that since I don't have a sticker on my windshield regarding emissions?

Thank you

2. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They will still give you a sticker, for safety that's all that matters because in NY the safety and emissions sticker are one and the same (they are also both performed at the same time). Because your Prius is new it gets to skip that part of the test. :welcome:

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As stated, the emissions stickers is one in the same as the safety sticker. And being your car is new you are exempt form the emmissions portion for now.

I think the first 2 years are just safety on a new vehicle here in NY, 3rd year begins the emissions and safety. The emissions is much easier than it used to be though. They don't stick the thing in the tailpipe anymore. So unless you've got a check engine or other warning type light lit on the dash it'll pass. This is what several station owners have told me.